Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

1987 Carrera Power Seat Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 03:34 PM
Default 1987 Carrera Power Seat Problem

I have a 1987 Carrera with a power drivers seat (everything but inflatable bladders). Everything works except the seat back adjustment is only working in forward tilt. Not sure if it is the switch, or motor. Presumably if the motor works in forward tilt it should work in reverse, thus it would be the switch? Unless, of course, there are two motors, one each for forward and backward tilt.Apparently the mechanism is buried in the seat back frame. Right now the seat is tilted completely forward which pretty much makes the car undriveable and my "local" dealer is 65 miles away. Is there any way to override the electric mechanism and manually reset the seat back to a comfortable position? Do I need to dismantle the seat back? If so, how? I just ordered a Bentley shop manual which should help but it won't be here for 5 or 6 days. Thanks for any help you can be. Tom@tomscoolcars.com

Old 01-25-2009, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 1987 Carrera Power Seat Problem

Yup, you are correct on your assumption, if it works forward, it should work backwards. A new seat switch will be your remedy. You will need to pull the seat out of the car (raise it up as high as you can, it will make swapping the switch easier). Once the seat is out, you can undo the trim to the switch, and figure out which set of wires controls that switch. Trace them to the motor and main power connector, and swap them out. Very basic replacement.

To remove the seat, slide it all the way back, remove your front bolts in the rail, then slide it all the way forward, remove the rear bolts, tilt the seat backwards and unplug the main electrical connector, and pull the seat out of the car to work on it.