Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

Pioneer stereo install - custom fitted..do you like my trim?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 10:04 AM
Default Pioneer stereo install - custom fitted..do you like my trim?

I've had my 03 996tt for about two months and was getting frustrated with the stock stereo. I opted for the Pioneer AVIC-D3. I wanted the bluetooth phone, xm, ipod, nav... so this was my best option and I like the price as well. I had to move the heater controls down to the lower panel and do a little re-shaping of the surround but I was happy with the result. My only problem was that the area aroung the new D3 unit was quite big and the supplied trim wouldn't fit so I decided to make my own custom trim. I had a plastic license plate holder from my car that I didn't need so I cut the porsche logo out of it and used it below the stereo for the lower trim. Around the sides and top I built and painted a trim piece that matches the stock trim in my dash and interior leather.

What do you guys think? I'm pretty happy with the look. (I haven't posted pics on a forum before so forgive me if the links below don't work)
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c...t-Pioneer2.jpg
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c...t-Pioneer1.jpg

Old 08-18-2007, 10:51 AM
Default RE: Pioneer stereo install - custom fitted..do you like my trim?

maybe take it to a professional audio shop and they can whip a trim bezel up for you, the Porsche and the silver aren't cutting it. looks more Honda'ish vs the smoothness of the Porsche.

Old 08-18-2007, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

996's and boxsters sold in Japan were optioned with a Pioneer dual din radio like yours. You can actually get the Porsche trim piece for around that radio.

Old 08-18-2007, 08:06 PM

I think what you did is very clever.

Looks very nice.

How's its function?

I presume you did not have an opticaldigital system in the vehicle.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:06 PM

Thanks for the comments. The Pioneers functions really well. I'm having some issues with the XM sat but everything else works as expected. The optical digital system wasn't a factor. In my car I put in a new amp to run the main speakers and a separate amp for new subs I am currently building a box for. I was worried after reading various messages on this forum but the speakers worked as soon as they were hooked up. My car was built in late 03 with the high end stereo. I'm not sure why the optical digital wasn't an issue.

I have a question you guys might be able to help with, I want to put the same carpet on my new sub box. I called the local dealer and and the prices for different carpet pieces were prettly expensive...any suggestions?

Old 09-01-2007, 04:08 PM

I can get any color carpet from porsche or material that is OEM and factory matched. what type of yardage you looking for and what colors?