Notices
Porsche 914 The Porsche 914 was a sports car built and sold collaboratively by Volkswagen and Porsche from 1969 through 1975.

Porsche Tapiro--how did it get burned out?

Old 11-12-2014, 10:52 AM
Default Porsche Tapiro--how did it get burned out?

This car was the star of Auto Expo, a car show, in Los Angeles in 1970.It had gullwing doors and a body design by Giorgetto Giugiaro, maybe one of the first he did at ItalDesign after he left Ghia.

I read that the car was fire bombed when it was owned by a Spanish industrialist who was in a labor dispute with his workers.

There is a picture somewhere on the net of Giugiaro and son examining it as the body is on a crane, sort of like they are looking at a strange monster pulled from the deep.

Then I saw another picture--this one in color-- of the burned out wreck posted on poles on a medium between two roadways just in front of a tunnel. Is that a permanent installation? What is it supposed to signify?

If anybody has details of the fire incident, if the industrialist was hurt, etc. and who bought the car after that, I'd like to hear about it. I would like to see the car restored but I am not sure who owns it now, maybe the Giugiaros, as a souvenir of their early days at Ital Design.