Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

help with oil leak on front and back cam seals, and suspension problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 11:02 AM
Default help with oil leak on front and back cam seals, and suspension problems

First, please let me know if I am posting this in the right place. I don't have much experience with this type of communication, but I will get it right eventually.

So, I went to the mechanic with a 1984 944 that I just recently purchased. The car hasn't been completely neglected, but there are some significant issues I must deal with. First and foremost, there are two small leaks on the cam. The mechanic told me it is the front and back cam oil seals. I can visibly see the leaks, but they are not too bad.

The guy quoted me $300 to fix, but he said I could probably do it myself for cheaper. I don't have much mechanical skill, but I do have the manual and I'm not completely inept. My question is, how involved will replacing those seals, if that is the main problem, be. If I need any tools that are more complicated than a torque wrench, and if I have to go fooling around with the camshaft itself I don't want to risk it. But if it is a fairly simple procedure I think I will give it a try.

Also, I was told the right front ball joint is almost completely deteriorated. I can't do that kind of work, so I will have to pay the shop for that one. But when I look at the car from the back, the body of the car is leaning to the front left. Almost like a tire on the left is flat, but the tires are not flat. The space between the left front tire and the body, is significantly smaller than the space between the right front tire and the body. Is this issue related to the ball joint on the right side being screwy? Or is this a separate issue.

I'm taking it back to the mechanic today for a second look, but please let me know if anyone out there has some advice for me.

Thanks,

Steve

Last edited by feke321; 04-01-2010 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

Ball joint on the early cars is actually quite easy.....much easier than pulling the cam tower. The mechanic is correct, really there is only about $40 in seals to completely reseal the cam tower. The rear cam seal can be done in the car without pulling the tower, it is just 3 10mm bolts and a cork gasket....though space is a little tight.

Hard to say what the lean is, the ball joint would pretty much have to be broken for it to lean like that....more than likely it is a sagging front spring or worn shock.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:56 AM

Great, this is exactly what I was hoping to hear. One question...Is pulling the cam tower a very complex project? It sounds like it, and from the looks of the manual I don't have the tools to do it.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, pulling the cam tower is a bit complex since it involves loosening the timing belt.