Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

rear fog light question

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 08:35 PM
Default rear fog light question

I have had many European cars with rear fog lamps. Usually if they are incorperated into the design of the tail lamps only the left (passing) side will work as not to be confused with brake lamps. On vehicles with separate fog lamp housings such as most Jags, Landies and newer Audis they will have one on each side. I know most people in this country are clueless just as flash-to-pass and parking lamps that can only be swithed on one side when parked are "new information".
Question is the 944 has light bulbs in both inward sockets in the tail lights that do not work. They are not wired to the parking lamps or the brake lamps so these must be fogs? There is no separate switch for these and with either the front fogs on or rear defrost on neither will light these up... If these are rear fogs why are there two, why are there bulbs and wiring if ultimately deleted for US import or are they supposed to work and something is wrong like a missing relay or something.... Thanks in advance to anyone who knows....

Old 01-21-2006, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: rear fog light question

Okay, as far as I can remember from your other posts, your 944 has the old type dashboard (i.e. not the oval shapped dash).

My S2 has the oval shapped dashboard and is a U.K. model so may differ from yours.

Okay, both rear fogs work on my car and are opperated by a switch located in the space between the door and steering wheel column (see pic). The rear fogs will only come on if the front fogs are switched on also.

If yours ain't working they may just be deleted for the U.S. or you may have a fault. (Did you have a drivers manual when you bought the car?)

[IMG]local://upfiles/1465/F51C026484B642CFBA509498AFA9AD10.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-27-2006, 12:13 AM

Yes, I have all the books ect. for it. Owners manual says nothing about it. I just noticed the bulbs in there and so I looked at the repair manual and noticed the wiring for it too. I do have the older dash and there is only one fog lamp switch. It looks to me that the wiring for the rear fogs are connected to the front switch as well as the defrost. I am guessing this is the switched power for the relay. That would makes sense since your rear fogs will only work if the front fogs are on. I can wire all of this easy enough. I had to wire my BMW including a stand alone relay and I drew switched power from my illuminated trunk release switch so that it would only be operable if the lights were on. I did my angel eyes in my headlights the same way except I also tapped into my ignition switched on wire in my ECU so that the angel eyes come on when my doors are unlocked with the dome lamps and will fade back out with them also but will remain on if the ignition is on. Works great! I was just curious. Atleast the Porsche looks like it is already wired, just missing a relay and the switch... ANy idea where the switch is on the early cars? My fog switch is on the center console on the left side under the guages center being cigarette lighter and right being the emergency brake/brake and seatbelt warning lamps.
Thanks a lot!
Regards, Chuck

[IMG]local://upfiles/1820/FD491ECE7466425DB0BAE04889E043B9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-27-2006, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

ANy idea where the switch is on the early cars?
Sorry Chuck, I don't. I could have a look next time I go to a Porsche show, but the first show that I know about (in the U.K.) isn't until March. [:@]