Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

White Smoke...HELP!

Old 04-08-2005, 10:51 PM
Default White Smoke...HELP!

Hi all!! Just joined the forum. I need help. I just bought an 84 944 non-turbo. It has 120000 miles. I was following my friend who was driving the car for me, and as he went down a merge ramp, and started to accelerate, the car bellowed white smoke. We stopped immediately and he left the car run. The smoke stopped pretty much before i could get out of my truck. We switched and i took the car. Reved it up...nothing. So i drove off, went through the gears, nothing....started driving it somewhat hard up and down the gears...not a puff. Put about another 30 miles on it...nothing. The antifreeze was up, and the oil was a clear brown but I believe somewhat high. I am letting it cool off to get a more accurate reading. The smoke did not smell like oil what so ever. I kinda thought that he maybe kept the park brake on but i don't think it would have smoked like that. I kinda thought of a head gasket but the heat gauge is good as well as the oil pressure. Any ideas?? Please help!

vector

Old 04-21-2005, 09:24 AM
Default RE: White Smoke...HELP!

Hey Vector i personaly wouldnt worrie to much if this was just a quick once off thing
it sounds to me that she might have been sitting for a while and just had a bit to clean out as it went in overdrive powering down the slope

mine blew a little smoke when i first got her but for that same reason and after i flushed it with a dirty oil cleaner and refiled her with a 25w 70 competetion perfomance oil she hasnt blowin any smoke what so ever

other then that u basicaly explained everything else i was going to say so IT SHOULD BE ALL GOOD

Old 04-21-2005, 09:40 AM

hey you said it didnt have a oil smell does this mean it smelt like somthing else?
thinking maybe fuel to rich( causes a white blue smoke effect ) or way worse you burnt some rings or did engine damage which should of had sparks then to

but it would be sounding ruff thoe and blowing smoke all the time if thats the case

Dont Cry thoe i will bet it was just burnt out old oil getting expelled

if it smelt like rubber or thoes old rattler trains it was defently the hand brake hehe trust me ive made this mistake when i first got mine to coz its hidden on the other side

Old 04-21-2005, 11:04 PM

I on a number of occasions in the past have been scared ****less when I have a cloud of white smoke come from my car for no apparant reason, same feeling as to when I get out of my car in the garage and smell burning.

This has only occurred a few times a year before someone told me something that since knowing I've been able to validate everytime.

This isn't something I've experienced fequently but over my 25 years driving it's happened enough to remember.

White smoke, we always assume is potential cracked head or gasket but guess want occurs more often than that. People washing their cars on a slope and hosing the thing down. Water gets in exhaust and collects in eshaust system. Drive off the slop, up another slope. Hot exhaust gases, water in exhaust, comes as as sometimes a pretty big puff. Since someone told me that. I've yet to see a puff of white smoke any other time than after washing.

Burning smell. More times than an electric fault, plastic bags on the road that stick to your exhaust. You would smell anything until you stop and step out of the car.

Old 05-10-2005, 05:24 PM

Figured it out guys. The oil was overfull from the previous owned. The mech said that it probably burped back into the intake system. Changed the oil and it has been fine since. Thanks all!!