Notices
Porsche Cayenne The Porsche Cayenne is an SUV made by Porsche since 2002.

Front seat back

Old 06-08-2011, 02:25 PM
Default Front seat back

The back (hard cover) of the front seat came undone. It is an '06 Cayenne. The bottom part has hooks but it is not clear how the top part is affixed. The dealership says it is glued. I don't understand why it would be glued at the top if they put hooks at the bottom. Anybody know if there are clips or something that hold the top part on to the seat?

Old 06-10-2011, 10:11 PM

can u take a pic for ur Problem u talking about ?

Old 08-20-2011, 04:39 PM
Default front seat back

I just had the front seat back come loose on my Cayenne. You'll note there are 3 brackets near the top that were originally glued to the seat back cover. They fasten into a slot in the seat frame with a metal clip and can be pulled free (it takes a strong pull). You'll have to re-glue the brackets to the seat back and then push the brackets into the frame slots. Unfortunately when my seat back cover came loose it dropped down and broke the two plastic clips near the bottom of the cover. Now I have to figure out how to replace them. Haven't been to a dealer yet.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:45 PM

I've had the same problem. Local dealer said the extreme Texas heat has caused this problem on a number of Cayennes. Also said it was $600 for a new seat back, and that they were trying to repair one by re-gluing the brackets back on and then pushing the clips back in. I'll call back and see how that worked.

Mine also broke the lower plastic clips.

I tried using epoxy to put both the lower clips and upper brackets back on but it did not hold. I did not leave enough space for the clips to slide over the metal frame on the bottom and one of the upper brackets came undone when trying to push in the clip. I was able to pull the seat back off again, but all the upper brackets came undone.

Moral is, don't try epoxy. I think an industrial spray on glue similar to that used in laminates would work better. Still have to figure out how to replace the lower clips. May have to rivet a replacement clip in place as the map holder will hide any rivet head that went through the seat back.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:24 PM
Default How I fixed the seat back on 2006 Porsche Cayenne

Alright I fixed it.

The seat back on the drivers side of my 2006 Porsche Cayenne fell off. The glue holding the three upper clips came undone and the clips themselves remained in the seat back and the two bottom slide on clips broke.

I could not replace or repair the bottom clips. Instead I drilled small holes in the remaining plastic bracket and ran pull ties through the holes and into the small hole on the metal bracket the original slide on clips connected to. A bottom bracket of some type is needed to hold the bottom close. Once the upper brackets were securely glued in place and ready to be installed I tightened down the pull ties to draw the bottom in close. This also made the alignment for the upper clips easy.

Make sure you align the thin plastic guides on the outside of the leather that covers the foot well as you tighten the twist ties to pull the bottom part of the seat back in place.

I then used a spray on glue to re-attached the upper clip brackets. I would suggest first drawing with a marker around the bracket where you want it to be placed before you spray the glue. I found the right spots but I wished they were better marked before I sprayed on the glue, as the glue covered up the previous outline of the brackets. I used 3M High Strength 90 spray on glue. Follow directions on can spraying both the inner seat back and the bracket itself. I allowed glue to get tacky for about two minutes and then put brackets in place. I then allowed glue to then set for at least 15 minutes before installing.

Make sure you have the brackets properly aligned. First pull the metal part of the clip out of the seat back. You will need needle nose pliers to squeeze them together to pull them out. They can then be slid back into the plastic part of the bracket. The outer ones can go on either side but only one side correctly. See picture for proper alignment. The center one is square so it could be easy to install it upside down. Get it right the first time because once the glue sets it is hard to remove.

Once all is ready, as I said, tighten the pull ties to pull bottom into place. This should align the clips near their holes. Push the clips into place on sides and middle and then if needed go back under seat and re-attach the clips at end of leather strips that cover wheel well.

Anyways, it all worked well for me. Hope it helps someone.

Attached Thumbnails Front seat back-img_1158.jpg   Front seat back-img_1159.jpg   Front seat back-img_1160.jpg   Front seat back-img_1163.jpg   Front seat back-img_1166.jpg  

Old 09-23-2011, 01:34 PM
Banned

@TexasMic hay... dude..That awesome techniques you have written here

thanks

Old 09-30-2011, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Carlwright
@TexasMic hay... dude..That awesome techniques you have written here

thanks

Thank You!

Tried different ideas for replacing the lower clips. In the end just went with my "fix all", pull ties. Always keep a few around for anything that needs to be held together.

That and a bit of duct tape and anything can be fixed!

Old 08-08-2012, 03:35 PM
Default Fixed in 20 miniutes for under $11.

These seat covers come off because of the pressure you put on them when you fold the back seats down and you push the front seat on to them, they start to come loose and when its hot out they eventually come apart and most of the time break.

*You will need to order new metal clips that go in the brackets: (porsche)$6
*Crazy Glue(.99 store) $1
*5 Minute epoxy (get the kind with the nozzle that mixes it for you (H depot)) $4

Steps:
1. Tac glue with crazy glue: the u shape plastic brackets on bottom a total of
4 of them (both seats) get it as good a fit as possible.

2. Tac glue the upper 6 brackets, if you look carefully at the back of seat cover you can see the outline from the old glue use that to help with repositioning the brackets. try to get as accurate as possible (remember no one is perfect)

3.Use 5 minute epoxy to secure all brackets permanently

4. Pull out old metal clips from the back of the seat if they are their, if not remove them from the brackets. I would recommend not using the old ones since they did come off in the first place.

5. Replace metal clips with no ones by attaching them to the brackets.

6. Once the epoxy has dried, to the best of you ability try to align metal clips to the back of the seat. they will lock in with a little push.

7. your done and you did not have to spend $300 american dollars like the guy at porsche service recommended.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by TexasMic
Alright I fixed it.

The seat back on the drivers side of my 2006 Porsche Cayenne fell off. The glue holding the three upper clips came undone and the clips themselves remained in the seat back and the two bottom slide on clips broke.

I could not replace or repair the bottom clips. Instead I drilled small holes in the remaining plastic bracket and ran pull ties through the holes and into the small hole on the metal bracket the original slide on clips connected to. A bottom bracket of some type is needed to hold the bottom close. Once the upper brackets were securely glued in place and ready to be installed I tightened down the pull ties to draw the bottom in close. This also made the alignment for the upper clips easy.

Make sure you align the thin plastic guides on the outside of the leather that covers the foot well as you tighten the twist ties to pull the bottom part of the seat back in place.

I then used a spray on glue to re-attached the upper clip brackets. I would suggest first drawing with a marker around the bracket where you want it to be placed before you spray the glue. I found the right spots but I wished they were better marked before I sprayed on the glue, as the glue covered up the previous outline of the brackets. I used 3M High Strength 90 spray on glue. Follow directions on can spraying both the inner seat back and the bracket itself. I allowed glue to get tacky for about two minutes and then put brackets in place. I then allowed glue to then set for at least 15 minutes before installing.

Make sure you have the brackets properly aligned. First pull the metal part of the clip out of the seat back. You will need needle nose pliers to squeeze them together to pull them out. They can then be slid back into the plastic part of the bracket. The outer ones can go on either side but only one side correctly. See picture for proper alignment. The center one is square so it could be easy to install it upside down. Get it right the first time because once the glue sets it is hard to remove.

Once all is ready, as I said, tighten the pull ties to pull bottom into place. This should align the clips near their holes. Push the clips into place on sides and middle and then if needed go back under seat and re-attach the clips at end of leather strips that cover wheel well.

Anyways, it all worked well for me. Hope it helps someone.
Awesome!

I commend you on your creativity and technical abilities. Your photos present a very clear picture of what you did. Thanks for sharing.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:51 PM

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I thought I'd share what I did. For the bottom bracket, I followed TexasMic's advise above. My top brackets stayed in place, only coming unglued from the seat back. I tried numerous items (epoxy, hot glue, spray adhesive) and everything eventually failed to properly adhere... Apparently a black car in Florida gets very hot inside. I finally switched to 3M VHB Heavy Duty Mounting Tape. So far, it appears to be a solid hold.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front seat back