Notices
Porsche Cayenne The Porsche Cayenne is an SUV made by Porsche since 2002.

Cayenne acceleration issues

Old 06-28-2006, 11:37 PM
Default Cayenne acceleration issues

I am about in tears. Love my 2006 Cayenne S which I bought in Dec 2005...however, frequently, put my foot on the accelerator, and... nothing. This delay has happened from a stop and also while rolling. I took the car in and was told nothing was wrong.

This last weekend my husband was driving it and we were attempting to cross a 2 lane highway with trucks coming in both directions. The accelerator failed twice before finally catching. That was pretty scary.

The dealer states that we must be trying to accelerate with one foot on the brake and one foot on the accelerator and that is what causes it to happen. he says that Porsche designed it this way...if you have your foot on the brake, you can not accelerate. Besides being a one footed driver, how in the world would you navigate the hills in San Francisco without being able to keep your foot on the brake while starting to accelerate. His response was that you do not keep your foot on the brake but lightly on the accelerator at a stop sign when driving UP a hill. Excuse me?!? THIS NOT LEGAL NOR IS IT SAFE.

They gave me a 2004 to drive. Funny thing how I can put my foot on the brake and accelerate at the same time.

Any ideas? The dealer is clearly out to lunch, and this isultimately boils down to a safety issue for myself and my family.

Old 06-29-2006, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Cayenne acceleration issues

Is this Porsche an automatic/tip-tronic/manual? When starting from a standstill, on a incline, surely the correct way to do it is with the hand-brake applied, not the foot brake? I can't think of a reason why you would want to press the gas & brake pedal at the same time, unless you were racing!

Old 06-29-2006, 02:28 PM

It is an automatic/tiptronic. Issue is not breaking/accelerating at the same time. I drive with one foot. Issue is accelerating on freeway, starting from a stop etc, changing lanes etc. And you never know when it will happen. Having the grill of a Mac truck in our face because of this delay when we tried to cross traffic is a safety issue.

Old 06-29-2006, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

His response was that you do not keep your foot on the brake but lightly on the accelerator at a stop sign when driving UP a hill. Excuse me?!? THIS NOT LEGAL NOR IS IT SAFE.

They gave me a 2004 to drive. Funny thing how I can put my foot on the brake and accelerate at the same time.

Any ideas? The dealer is clearly out to lunch, and this isultimately boils down to a safety issue for myself and my family.
When sitting on a hill with the cayenne, you do not need to keep your foot on the brake like the old automatics, the new hill holding technology will hold the car on the hill without having your foot on the gas or brake. It is not illegal nor unsafe, it is new technology designed to be safer.

The Cayenne's (as well as the 911 line, cayman, etc) are setup as a safety feature to not allow you to hold your foot on the brake and the gas at the same time. The reasoning behind this, is that in an accident evading situation, some people will slam tboth feet to the floor as a survival reaction, well, one foot is on the brake and one is on the gas, guess which is going to over power which in a porsche. The porsche DME senses this, and will slam the throttle body shut, killing any acceleration. There is an update out there that was designed for "american drivers" who tend to drive 2 footed, which is what the Cayenne you were given as a loaner probably has in the programming.

Overseas, when you take your driving test, you must set your parking brake at every stoplight/stopsign when you are stopped in traffic, or you will not pass your test. Holding your foot on the brake does not count, it must be the parking brake. If you need to hold your foot on the brake on a hill, try using the parking brake instead, and see if that cures any of your problems.

Old 06-29-2006, 07:22 PM

I am sorry that I was not clearer in my original posting. The issue is not having one foot on the break and one on the accelerator. THAT IS WHAT THE PORSCHE DEALER TOLD ME I MUST BE DOING

The issue is that there is an accelerator delay merging with traffic, switching lanes and last week, accelerating to cross traffic from a dead stop

Old 06-29-2006, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

How big of a delay are we talking? a split second, 5 seconds, 10 seconds? The Cayenne has a known hesitation issue.

Old 06-29-2006, 09:53 PM

2-3 seconds/ enough to get you into a real jam when you drive in congested areas as in the San Francisco Bay area and have to drive offensively as well as defensively. I drive 25-30k miles each year so I am not an inexperienced driver.

Old 06-30-2006, 12:53 AM
Super Moderator

Turn off your PSM (Porsche Stability Management) and I bet it goes away. It is a known issue in the DME (engine computer) which Porsche denies. The issue tends to go away if you switch off the PSM.

Old 07-11-2006, 09:58 PM

I own a Porsche Cayenne Turbo and also experience initial delays that I have attributed to ?turbo lag...but it may be due to other issues as well. If I stomp on the pedal from a stopped position, there is an initial pause before acceleration. The Porsche Cayenne turbo (not sure about the Cayenne S) typically starts from 2nd gear and not first. I have noticed that if I downshift to first using the triptronic shifters before my initial acceleration that this lag does not occur. Obviously, this does not correct the lag that I sometimes experience when attempting to change lanes...however, again, I have solved some of this by downshifting prior to the lane change.
Don't know if this helps???

Old 07-15-2006, 01:47 AM

Thought I would post the resolution. Porsche sent a tech manager out from Georgia to try and fix the acceleration problem. Within a few hours, he ascertained that it ws a software issue. He installed a software update and the delay is gone.

Without this forum, we would have been up a creek. The dealer finally stopped denying the problem only after I supplied them with messages describing the same unfixed issues.
Thank you

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cayenne acceleration issues