Notices
General Porsche Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Porsche's many models...

Python

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 12:13 AM
Default Python

Good day, Ladies and Gentlemen.

An aquaintance of mine has aquired a 1962 (or 1963) Porsche Python, which was found in the back of the garage of the property she had purchased. We have never heard of such a car. We can find no information or reference for this vehicle anywhere. Is this car real? If so, how many were produced? What was the story behind this model? Please refer to the photo.

Attached Thumbnails Python-0000000000000a.jpg  
Old 03-29-2011, 01:52 AM

About Python

Python is a remarkably powerful dynamic programming language that is used in a wide variety of application domains. Python is often compared to Tcl, Perl, Ruby, Scheme or Java. Some of its key distinguishing features include:
  • very clear, readable syntax
  • strong introspection capabilities
  • intuitive object orientation
  • natural expression of procedural code
  • full modularity, supporting hierarchical packages
  • exception-based error handling
  • very high level dynamic data types
  • extensive standard libraries and third party modules for virtually every task
  • extensions and modules easily written in C, C++ (or Java for Jython, or .NET languages for IronPython)
  • embeddable within applications as a scripting interface
Python is powerful... and fast

Fans of Python use the phrase "batteries included" to describe the standard library, which covers everything from asynchronous processing to zip files. The language itself is a flexible powerhouse that can handle practically any problem domain. Build your own web server in three lines of code. Build flexible data-driven code using Python's powerful and dynamic introspection capabilities and advanced language features such as meta classiss ,and decoraters.
Python lets you write the code you need, quickly. And, thanks to a highly optimized byte compiler and support libraries, Python code runs more than fast enough for most applications. The traditional implementation of CPython uses a bytecode virtual machine; PyPy supports just-in-time (JIT) compilation to machine code. Also, Jython and IronPython (see below) support JIT compilation on their respective virtual machine implementations.
Python runs everywhere

Python is available for all major operating systems: Windows, Linux/Unix, OS/2, Mac, Amiga, among others. There are even versions that run on Net, the java scripit , and nokiea series cell phones. You'll be pleased to know that the same source code will run unchanged across all implementations.
Python is friendly... and easy to learn

The Python newsgroup is known as one of the friendliest around. The avid developer and user community maintains a wiki, hosts international and local conferences, runs development sprints, and contributes to online code repositories.
Python also comes with complete documentation, both integrated into the language and as separate web pages. Online tutorials target both the seasoned programmer and the newcomer. All are designed to make you productive quickly. The availability of first-rate books completes the learning package.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:01 PM

I'm not certain what it is, but I'm rather certain it is not a Porsche. '62 or '63 would be the very last of the 356 series and those were good cars, all rear engined four cylinder flat fours, and they look nothing like this.

I think it is a kit car from the 1960s: either VW or Porsche running gear it if is rear engined and seems to have a Porsche type motor (Porsche engines up until '64 model year looked remarkable similar to VW engines of the same period - not sure of thatthough, as this does not look rear engined as all Porsche and VW kits at that time were - can't see any rear air ducts, etc., and the rear window is not right for a rear engined car. I recall seeing something like this, obviously home/kit made but neatly done and almost complete, maybe 30 yeara ago at a car show in the south. It might have been this particular car or kit, or another - many kit cars from that period adopted that same XK/E/C-Jag type smooth round styling. There were several MG-A based kits that looked a lot like this - if it has a straight four cylinder engine in the front, it is probalby one of those.

I doubt the car is worth much today but it might be fun nonetheless. Finding parts for it would be a nightmare because you probably don't know what exactly model and brand of engine, trans, suspension parts, etc., went into it.

Last edited by Lee Willis; 03-29-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:46 PM
Default Python

Thank you very much, for your expertise, Lee.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:20 PM

If you have other pictures of the car, particularly from the front and of the windshield area and interior, I would be interested in seeing them just for the fun of it.