Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums

Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-21/)
-   -   MP3 Player?? (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-21/mp3-player-1138/)

CTiggerPigglet 10-18-2005 08:38 AM

MP3 Player??

Hi, forgive my ignorance, but can someone recommend a good MP3 player?

I would like one that I could upload the tracks straight from my computer to a removable hard disc so I don't have to copy everything on to CD-RW discs.

Someone told me that this type of player is available. Is this true, or are they just pulling my pisser?
[sm=rolleyes.gif]

PorscheDoc 10-18-2005 09:58 AM

RE: MP3 Player??

My memory is fuzzy, but i think blaupunkt makes one.

CTiggerPigglet 10-18-2005 10:06 AM

ORIGINAL: PorscheDoc

My memory is fuzzy, but i think blaupunkt makes one.
Cheers PorscheDoc,
at least I now know that I'm not being "lead up the garden path." I'll have a search for their U.K. web site. [sm=burnout.gif]

944Dream 10-28-2005 09:41 PM

Seems like Alpine makes one too, if you haven't already I'd check out Crutchfield.com. Let me know what you find, that seems like a great thing to get.

944Dream 10-30-2005 04:15 PM

I asked the sales rep at Best Buy about this the other day and they have one that has a USB connection on the faceplate for $100. I think the brand was Insignia or something like that. The rep told me it is a Best Buy company and they aren't bad. He also said that it would work with those little USB sticks that have become so popular but he doesn't know if it would work with something like an external hard drive. The Insignia was supposed to read all the info on a USB stick in about 30-45 seconds but I don't know how long it would take if you had a 40 or 80 gig external HD. If you decide to go this path let me know how it works out because the reception really sucks in my 944 (antenna is in the windshield and windshield has a little crack in the lower right corner where the antenna is). If I end up doing this to my truck I'll let you know the results. Good luck and hope this info helps.

They also had a decent JVC with an aux input on the faceplate. It didn't have the USB but another type of connection and I'm told you can hook up a hard drive to it.

CTiggerPigglet 10-31-2005 08:37 AM

Hi, thanks for the advice. I have done a little more research into these types of MP3 players and as they are quite new, not many companies make them and if they do, they don't make many different modles.

Sony, make a good one called the MEX-1HD with a built in hard drive, USB connection, and CD player. (I might be shooting myself in the foot here, but they do come up on ebay for about £200 ($400). I haven't bidded on one yet, as I don't know if someone makes one with a removeable hard drive yet?)

[sm=icon_rock.gif]

wasabiboys 05-31-2006 07:30 PM

Yeah the sony MP3 CD player is great. I got a friend who has one and he loves it.

Vonov 11-04-2006 02:14 PM

CTiggerPigglet, you might want to just get a standard unit with an aux input and plug in an iPod or similar; I've got one of the 6GB units, and have yet to finish the playlist. The iPod takes the place of a whole buttload of CD's; but then, you know that, since you're already asking about an mp3 player. :)

Edit: Lol, just noticed date of original post was 2005!!!