Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums

Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/)
-   Detailing (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/detailing-32/)
-   -   Bird Poop & Looking After Canvas Hoods (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/detailing-32/bird-poop-looking-after-canvas-hoods-3146/)

MJC 04-02-2007 05:55 PM

Bird Poop & Looking After Canvas Hoods

Hi, I have just returned home to see a bird hascrapped on my[just cleaned] Boxter...

...Pleasewould you advise as to the best method of cleaning this off, and what can be done to look after the hood generally (other thanhose it down) - It has started to fade (is dark blue), and is showing wear on the section that gets creased when folded down.

Many thanks, M

ZinFaren 04-06-2007 01:10 AM

RE: Bird Poop & Looking After Canvas Hoods

Is it the hood of the car or the convertible top?

MJC 04-07-2007 10:56 AM

Its the convertible top itself. Seems to grained into the fabric a little...

Also, any advice, or anyway torenew the hood - ie deal with fade and the crease marks?

Many thanks, M.

ZinFaren 04-12-2007 02:14 AM

As for the concertible top.. I sprayed it with a 3M waterproofer or sealant and so far so good. It keeps the dust from penetrating deep into the fabric and when I wash it with good old H20 it doesnt get damp. As far as cleaning bird droppings I think your best bet is H20 with car wash shampoo or cleaner.. I havent tried other brands yet.. I use maguires.

For the hood.. If its extremely faded Im not so sure if theres a product that can restore it to original shine.. I just wax mines with eagle one carnauba wax here and there and do touch up with eagle one nano spray when I see dirt ot bird crap.

TOGWT 07-22-2007 07:32 AM

Faded fabric -[/i] caused by ultra violet radiation (UVR) photo degradation or acidic attack; use Renovo Soft Top Reviver (convertible car dot com) a paint-on product that restores faded colour

Pilot 10-24-2007 11:26 AM

Bird droppings ona canvas(fabric) top are simple to clean safely if you use the right products and technique.

1. Use a vac with a soft bristle brush tocollect as much surface dirt/dust and the affected area.

2. Hose down the top with minimal running water preasure. Do not use preasure washers.

3. I use Griot's Garage Interior Cleaner on fabric tops as it is safe and very effective at removing most stains. If your using a different product, test the product on a small, inconspicuous for color bleeding.

4. Use a soft, nylon bristle brush and work the cleaner product into the top by brushing along the weave pattern. Avoid brushing against the weave as this will cause the fabric to frey.

5. Hose off the top thoroughly and allow to dry completely.

6. Once dry. Apply a convertable top protectant. I use Griot's Garage Fabric Protector because it contains UV protection and helps resist most stains like that from bird droppings and tree sap.

angelonyc 11-09-2008 02:25 PM

I use an exterior cover whenever I park my rs60 in my driveway. I also have meguiars quick detailer and some wipes handy to immediately remove any substances like bird droppings.