Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums

Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/)
-   General Porsche Chat (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/general-porsche-chat-5/)
-   -   Auto vs stick (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/general-porsche-chat-5/auto-vs-stick-4102/)

pcmayer 08-26-2007 08:51 PM

Auto vs stick

I'm in the market for a (01-03) 911 turbo, this will be my first porsche. can anyone tell me the performance differance between the 6spd vs the auto o-60 times, turbo lag? durilibility of the auto trans,clutch wear issues , ect thanks for your help ----Paul

northport23 08-27-2007 04:00 PM

RE: Auto vs stick

Assuming this isn't gonna be your daily driver and your'e not doingtwo hours each way of rush hour traffic, there's no reason not to get a 6-speed. While I don't have any direct experience with it,Ithink you'd regret getting a car withTiptronic. Clutch work is part of the driving experience (I have a short shift kitwhich is really sweet:)), and you'll be better able to enjoy the full potential of your car. That said, clutches ain't cheap... but hey, that comes with the turf.

PorscheDoc 08-27-2007 04:22 PM

I am a fan of the 6 speed as well, but you can launch a tiptronic car off the line so fast it isn't funny. The fastest quarter mile runs in a 996TT and 997TT have been done in tips.

pcmayer 08-27-2007 04:35 PM

Thanks Northport,and PorscheDoc, for the info, any word on durilibty of the tips???

northport23 08-27-2007 04:36 PM

I didn't know that Doc... HoweverI doneed to wind it up and drop the clutch for1st to be anything but a non-event. Second and third however... :)

skarr09 09-14-2007 12:54 PM

Ok PC this is my take on it. Do you want to drive the car or do you want the car to drive you. Autos/Tiptronic do not allow you to take full control of the car, it would be like having a automatic motorcycle although fun to ride, but who is in control of who? Can you feel what I am saying.

Skarr
Drive, Love and have Fun.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4860/3C642CCD1AC442FD83B06B88ABC5B1D3.jpg[/IMG]

Lee Willis 09-14-2007 06:05 PM

If this car is one you want to be involving and fun, get the 6-speed. It is much faster off the line and much more fun to drive. On the other hand, I have the Tiptronic and love it. My 996 is our daily driver. I bought the car with that intention, with the Tiptronic, andit is the best daily driver I have every owned. It is not particularly fast in a streaight line (mid 13s quarter mile) but otherwise just perfect as a car to drive to work, around town, etc., and it is literally our "grocery getter. I mean no offense to any Carrera owners, but the base and even the S modelsseem like a GT to me, not a sports car: for that get a Boxster or Caymen or GT2, GT3, etc., with the 6-speed, of course.

tinchao 09-15-2007 02:28 AM

My friend was just talking about getting a 911 turbo today, I check the book, 0 to 60, Tip beats the stick by about half a second.
I don't have a 911, but my ride is a tip, and I love it because I stuck in traffic every single day, and I don't go all out crazy speeding and there is no track that I can take my car toand step on it in my State. So tip work's fine for me.

Deaner 10-01-2007 10:58 PM

I personally love driving stick, but I have an auto Boxster, and previous before this I had a Carrera. I personally enjoy the Automatic with the trip feature more than anything. It's just a lot easier to drive, more enjoyable. But if you look at it from a control- point of view...Stick is the way to go. But I would recommend either or. Depends more on where you live too..Cause I live in NY. I hate driving stick here. Too many morons don't know how to drive....Ends up getting back at you're clutch.

But thats my perspective on it...
Others might have different opinions.

_Dean