Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums

Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/)
-   General Porsche Chat (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/general-porsche-chat-5/)
-   -   How often do I have to change the tires? (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/general-porsche-chat-5/how-often-do-i-have-change-tires-2889/)

tinchao 02-18-2007 10:15 PM

How often do I have to change the tires?

Hi, New to performance tire. My car is new at this moment, less than 2000 miles, but I know the Porsche tire is not the same as the $50 tire for regular car. How often do I have to change them, I have the factory tire on now. Someone told me 20k miles. Please advise. Thanks.

PorscheDoc 02-19-2007 11:12 AM

RE: How often do I have to change the tires?

If you get 20k out of a set of tires, you will be doing very good. Fronts maybe. Rears tend to go a little quicker.

tinchao 02-20-2007 02:56 AM

Thanks PorscheDoc,
It may be a stupid question, but I never own high performance tire before.... How come the tire last only 20K miles? Does the type of rubberdifference than the $60 tire?
Also, when do I know I have to change tire, do I measure the depth of the tread? What should I look for.
Beside the Michelin tires that comes with the car, is there other brand tire that is just as good but cheaper?
These are what on the car now.
Front - Pilot sport, 235 40 2R 18 (91Y)
Rear - Pilot sport, 265 40 2R 18 (101Y)
Thanks.
Tinchao

ladams1 02-25-2007 09:00 PM

You may have a 997 version so my 996 1999 911 may not have much value. Your car may be better.

I got 15000 miles on my back and 20000 on my front. They are about $1200 a set.

The older Porsches I am told by freinds do not last that long about 5000 miles i was told. The gentleman told me that Porsche carsare so well built the only maintenace you have is oil and tires. He said (his was a 1974 car) that watching the tires wear is like watching toilet paper unwind. thank god those days are gone.

lee

tinchao 02-25-2007 09:08 PM

Hi, lasams1, I am still learning about all those numbers, I know mine is 987, 06 Boxster S
I better start saving some money for new tires. Thanks.

PorscheDoc 02-25-2007 10:19 PM

You replace the rears so often because A: The cars have a lot of negative camber in the rear wheels, and B: All the engine weight is over the rears, so they will wear out a bit faster.

ladams1 02-27-2007 06:32 PM

ORIGINAL: tinchao

Thanks PorscheDoc,
It may be a stupid question, but I never own high performance tire before.... How come the tire last only 20K miles? Does the type of rubberdifference than the $60 tire?
Also, when do I know I have to change tire, do I measure the depth of the tread? What should I look for.
Beside the Michelin tires that comes with the car, is there other brand tire that is just as good but cheaper?
Thanks.
Tinchao
Doc gave you the major reason. The other reason has to do with the tire compound itself. In order to make the car stick better under lateral G forces the tire is designed to be soft. This means two things, they wear out via abrasion quicker and the good news is under sun do not crack as easily. The tire over time begin to dry out and get hard and you loose road holding ability and then theycrack.

My numbers on the tire wear is for my 911. The Boxster maybe and is probably different. I suspect the car is lighter and that helps wear. the car being mid egine may not have some of the tires setting tricks Porsche engineersused to make the car handle better. I am only quessing on the last part. i would have to see specs before I could give a meaningful opinion.

Doc would most likely be the better judge based on what he sees at his shop.

Saving is a good idea :)

Good luck,

lee

tinchao 03-13-2007 07:06 AM

ORIGINAL: ladams1

ORIGINAL: tinchao

Thanks PorscheDoc,
Thanks.
Tinchao
Doc gave you the major reason. The other reason has to do with the tire compound itself. In order to make the car stick better under lateral G forces the tire is designed to be soft. This means two things, they wear out via abrasion quicker and the good news is under sun do not crack as easily. The tire over time begin to dry out and get hard and you loose road holding ability and then theycrack.

My numbers on the tire wear is for my 911. The Boxster maybe and is probably different. I suspect the car is lighter and that helps wear. the car being mid egine may not have some of the tires setting tricks Porsche engineersused to make the car handle better. I am only quessing on the last part. i would have to see specs before I could give a meaningful opinion.

Doc would most likely be the better judge based on what he sees at his shop.

Saving is a good idea :)

Good luck,

lee
My friend has a 2003 Boxster, just found out he does not need to change his front tire yet, he has40K miles on his wheel now, he changed his rear tire after about 28k miles. He said there is an indicator on the tire, I checked my tire, and sure there are some on the tires. I guess it depends on how do you drive your Porsche. 40K, I don't think my car will last that long.

kgus28 03-13-2007 01:13 PM

Tinchao,

I just put 4 brand new Pilot Sports on my 911. I spent a little more than I could have if I went with a different brand, but I don't regret it one bit, as they handle perfectly in the wet and dry.

Also, I've been told the Michelin Pilot Sports were actually made special for Porsche, so they work the best.

Kevin

tinchao 03-13-2007 03:25 PM

Thanks Kevin for the infor. That makes sense, Porsche is not going to put any kind of tire on their cars, they want the best performance, I think I will get the same brand tire when I need to change them. As of now, I only have less the 2500 miles on my car. BTY, my friend told me Costco get the best price, any good deal to share?
I just saw a 911 Turbo S on my way to work. We are driving side by side, very nice car, hope one day I can step up to a 911......... :D