Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums

Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/general-tech-27/)
-   -   2001 Carrera4 convertible top issue (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/general-tech-27/2001-carrera4-convertible-top-issue-3633/)

jstekman 06-21-2007 02:52 AM

2001 Carrera4 convertible top issue

Anyone know where to start when you can open and close the top using the key in the door but not operate using the switch on the dash?
Thanks all.

JSTEK

wdonovan 06-21-2007 06:22 AM

RE: 2001 Carrera4 convertible top issue

It looks like the switches control the top through two different systems. The key operates it
through the alarm system controller. There are also 3 fuses that are top related. I rule out fuses B1 & C3 because the instrument cluster or the power windows would be out and you'd notice that. Fuse B5 is my choice to start. It also controls the power mirror adjustment so try the mirrors first. If they're busted, most probably a bad B5 (7.5amp). If not a fuse, you're on your own. Though I would probably move on to the switch itself. LOL =(lots of luck).

jstekman 06-22-2007 11:39 AM

Thank you for the tip. Seems that you can still hear the relay engage back at the rear of the car when you hit the switch to bring the top up or down.
Going to look further back behind the motorixation panel to see if the relay had taken to the sky somewhere in the process.
Appreciate your help.

JSTEK

wdonovan 07-05-2007 06:18 AM

Find anything? Just developed the same issue with my 02 C4 Cab.

jstekman 07-06-2007 04:46 AM

Noticed the following.

Pull your handbrake and see if the light goes onin the dash console.If it doesn't it is most likely the switch that the handbrake shares with the safety on the conv top is not operating correctly. Noticed that if I engaged and disengaged the hand brake a few timesthe light on the dashkicks on and the top becomes operable once again. Havent gone into the console but figure it is an adjustment that needs to be set somewhere else on the handbrake.

Was almost dreading having to test the relays that operate the top. Will see what it takes to adjust/fix the handbrakeswitch when I get back into the country.

Regards.

wdonovan 07-06-2007 12:09 PM

Thx. I did a bunch of googling and came up with the same thing. Brake light does not come on when e brake is applied so I ordered a new 4 dollar switch in case I have to replace it. Didn't seem worth taking it apart twice to save the 4 bucks.

jstekman 07-07-2007 05:46 PM

Good deal. Luckily a simple fix for a somewhat problematic issue (having to stand outside your car every time you want to raise or lower your top)....

Did the switch break or is able to be adjusted if it came loose?

have a good weekend.

JS

wdonovan 07-09-2007 11:04 AM

Don't know if the switch broke. Haven't gotten the new one yet. I am able to play with the brake and get the light to come on. When the "P" light's on, the top works perfectly. Will post after the repair.