Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums

Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/general-tech-27/)
-   -   997 Turbo CEL ... (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/general-tech-27/997-turbo-cel-6506/)

bion 08-07-2008 09:13 AM

997 Turbo CEL ...

I am currently 1/2 way through a two week road trip and had my first CEL, of course in the middle of nowhere USA early in the morning. I've had my '07 TT about two months with about 5K miles on it. I had the AWE exhaust system installed upon delivery but have had no problems at all on and off the track. Anyway, I had the CEL come on (yellow) but it turned itself off after about 75 miles of highway driving. I did check the gas cap as I had just filled it up the night before. So I phoned Porsche road side assist (good service) and they directed me to a dealer 6 hours away. When I arrived a the dealer (again, good service) they checked the car out and found a PO430 code fault. They informed me this was related to the after market exhaust (emissions issue) but thought it shouldn't be a "problem." But because of the after market exhaust the check wasn't covered by warranty and charged me $150 (warranty issue lesson!). The car ran fine the rest of the day and I'll be back on the road again today (for another week of secondary highway fun).

Does anyone out there have any info or experience with CEL issues, especially with after market exhausts, for the 997 TT? Was there a downside to getting a new exhaust!? Are the codes for the 2007 997 TT somewhere on line so I can get a code reader/clearer (recommendations for a make?). Any thoughts on the CEL clearing itself after an hours highway driving?

Thanks folks, and I'll pass on whatever news or info I can pick up along the way too!
B.

Big Bob 08-08-2008 01:01 PM

RE: 997 Turbo CEL ...

Hi switching off the CEL Light is something you need the Diagnostic and Computer access for I'm afraid.
I'm tempted to check that the 4 oxygen sensors in the exhaust system, ie 2 on each bank are tight in the exhaust system. If one is loose it may allow a little oxygen into the exhaust that then gives the CEL light.
The fact that the light went off is interesting too.
I find that you can only rely on a dealership that you have established a relationship with. Its too simple to say different exhaust therefore thats the problem.
Best I can offer at present.
Possibly Porschedoc might have some added wisdom.
Regards Big Bob

bion 08-16-2008 07:45 PM

Ok, I had the CEL in day one of a 10 day road trip. I'm back home now and the CEL never reappeared after it cleared itself after about 1 hour. Believe it or not!?
I guess this sort of thing can happen as the sensors are very sensitive. I am still encouraged to make some more changes after the warranty period expires. A great car for daily driver, track, and road trips... perfect for flexible driving styles. I await driving in our Canadian winters, soon.
Good luck all.
B.

PorscheDoc 08-17-2008 05:52 PM

My guess is possibly a bad cat. I would contact AWE and see if they have had issues.

bion 08-19-2008 07:54 PM

Since it hasn't reappeared it is proving difficult to investigate this CEL issue. I'll wait and see what happens. With my modified M3 it did eventually turn out to be an O2 censor but it seems easier to solve these problems when they develop a bit of a pattern. I will continue to pursue the advice you offer, but so far it's a "wait and see" issue.
Cheers,
B.