Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums

Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/general-tech-27/)
-   -   HELP: Engine Light (997) (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/general-tech-27/help-engine-light-997-a-6561/)

hamad 08-17-2008 03:48 PM

HELP: Engine Light (997)

Hi all,

I bought my first Porsche 3 days ago (2005 Carrera S). Beautiful car, agent maintained and serviced. I have also taken it for a full check before buying it and they found a leak in the shaft and some minor problem with the clutch! looking at this forum and asking the dealer these seemed like small issues that are normal for a 3 year old car.

Anyway this morning when I started the car I got the 'Check Engine/Visit Workshop' alarm on!! it stayed on for about 30 seconds and went away. I wasn’t sure what to do and thought it was because of either the leak or the clutch, however when I was driving back home tonight it came up 3 time while driving (again for 30-60 second) before it disappear again!!

It’s probably worth mentioning that I’m noticing weird noise (something like a supercharged car)when I'm reversing and today I also noticed white smoke coming out of the exhaust for about 20 seconds!!

I have purchased the extended warranty but it won’t be valid until I fix the leak and the clutch (waiting for parts to arrive) and will have to wait for another month after that to be able to utilize it (as my service adviser told me)!!

I am not sure if what’s happening is usual oris ita serious problem?? Please help

Thanks in advance
Hamad

PorscheDoc 08-17-2008 05:51 PM

RE: HELP: Engine Light (997)

Take it to the dealer and have it checked out. Could be a number of things.

hamad 08-18-2008 10:53 AM

Took it to the dealer this morning and they plugged it to the diagnoses system. It turn out that Cylinder 3 is not working!!!!
The dealer suspects that it’s either the Sparkplug or Coil, or Control unit. I haven't heard back from them yet. I guess it will be tomorrow.
The dealer also thinks it’s because the showroom I bought my car from sprayed the engine with water which could've caused this to happen.

Doc - What do you think? Should I worry? Or is it a simplejob?

Not a very good start with the car:(

Thanks
Hamad

hamad 08-19-2008 08:15 AM

It turns out to be an electrical cable that needs to be replaced. According to the dealer this cable causes less electricity to flow to the engine. The spark plugs also need to be replaced as they have been carbonated. It’s an $800 job which could've been avoided if the engine wasn't washed, according to the dealer!
The car will be ready tomorrow.
Thanks

bion 08-19-2008 07:51 PM

Hamad,
Having had CEL scares myself (see my thread), I'm glad the dealer found and will fix the problem. I've never had a serious problem indicated by the CEL and the dealers are usually good a taking care of these type of things.
Enjoy the new car!
B.

hamad 08-20-2008 09:11 AM

Went back to dealer today and the manager was waiting for me!!! I sat with him and he give me the news. The car will need a new engine! I paid for the extended warrenty but its not active yet so its not covered!! The manager gave me 2 options either sell the car for $25000 and they will fix it (i.e. lose around $30000 in 4 days) or go through the taugh road which is fixing! they need to
dismantle the engine to be 100% sure that they will need a new one but the mechanic said that he is 90% sure that it requires a new engine as it has two cylenders not working properly and it mixs water with oil! I am not a mechanic so all I heard was lots of cash!!!! Replacing the engine according to the guys there could cost around $17000 if we send the old one to Germany.

Guys I need advice I am not sure what to do?

bion 08-20-2008 02:15 PM

Hamad,

This is distressing news. I think the more experienced forum member will be able to offer some sound advice. However, I would quickly enlist the assistance of lawyer (don't go cheap, get someone experienced in these types of contract matters!!!!). Contracts and warranties are tricky issues that have gray areas best addressed by experienced lawyers. From the very few details you have provided it would appear the dealer has some responsibilities in this matter. Some contract issues have time factors so act quickly (today). If the extended warranty is through Porsche NA I'm sure you lawyer will be in touch with them soon. In the mean time, do not do anything your car, do not tip your hand to anyone you don't have to until your lawyer says it's ok, and document everything in detail.
Good luck and keep us posted.

hamad 08-23-2008 09:31 AM

The dealer now promised that they will send a report to the factory and explain the situation to them. The manager mentioned something about 'good well' report or something! I am not sure how long I will have to wait for or what to expect, but if I don’t like what they come back with I will explore the legal route. Thanks for the advice bion!

If anyone else been in a similar situation please advice.

Thanks,
Hamad

hamad 08-30-2008 05:21 AM

I just came back from the dealer to check on the car. They dissemble the engine to complete the report and send to Germany. it turn out that there is a problem with the bearing or something, which resulted damage to cylinder 3 and 5. Anyway, I am not really sure of technicalities but the engine needs replacement for sure.

hamad 09-02-2008 03:32 AM

I just got off the phone with the dealer and they mentioned that the report was sent and they received a request from the from the factor to submit another report on the conditions of the pistons!!
is this good news? according to my dealer it is as he said they haven’t rejected the request and are looking at the case?!! do you guys know if this is good news or just an ordinary investigation that will lead to me covering the bill???

Thanks,
Hamad