Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums

Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/general-tech-27/)
-   -   How hard should a 911 be to shift? (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/general-tech-27/how-hard-should-911-shift-4541/)

I Heart Porsche 10-28-2007 02:08 AM

How hard should a 911 be to shift?

I'm new to the forum, just bought an 2001 911. Love it, but...

Is it normally really hard to shift from first to second?

The shifter moves smoothly through all the gears, and there is no hint of grinding.
The clutch pedal feels firmand smooth through its travel.

The problem is when I shift from first to second and sometimes into third I often get areally good "thunk".
If I concentrate and really pay attention to match the rpms with the acceleratorand let out the clutch as smooth as possible it seems fine.
It also seems easier to shiftat higherrpms.

I've been driving a stick for nearly 20 years and haven't had any trouble.
I've driven a boxter and didn't have this problem.

I'm going to try to take it to a porsche dealership this week for service.
I'm hoping that I just have a problem with my feet and not my clutch.

What do you guys think?

What rpm do you usually shift from first to second for normal city driving?
[/align]

kgus28 10-28-2007 09:10 AM

RE: How hard should a 911 be to shift?

I too had driven a stick shift for many years, but also had problems with operating the clutch smoothly when I first bought my 1999 996. The clutch in a 911 is not as forgiving as the ones I had in my Hondas. Since you have been driving a stick for a long time, you should be able to feel when its time to shift. It sounds like to me that you might not have the clutch pedal pressed all the waydown when you are shifting. This is a habit you'll want to break quickly as continued abuse will send you to the shop for new shifter cables (I learned this the hard way). In time you will get better, as its old hat for me now.

Hope this helps,

Kevin

doug 11-05-2007 11:49 AM

ditto...if the clutch is all the way down and you are still getting a clunk then it's the car, not you

I Heart Porsche 11-08-2007 04:31 AM

I've since driven another similar model, and it's just my feet.

I'm not matching the RPMs well enough and what I'm feeling is just abrupt engine braking.

The clutch doesn't give much feed back while engaging, and the gas pedal still feels strange to me. But I'm getting used to it.

Can't wait to try to learn heel-toe. [sm=drooldude.gif]

doug 11-08-2007 07:23 AM

a common mistake is to not have enough rpm before letting the clutch out...try getting your rpm well up (I like 3500-4000 in the Turbo) THEN letting your clutch out...it's only a fraction of a second different with the RPM occuring well before the clutch...you'll find all gears will be smoother and the ride will be much more comfortable for your passenger

just my 2 cents...

piratescabin 03-27-2008 08:23 PM

i have a 84/911 thathas a short shift kit = these are tough to sync up since you can adjust allpostions of the shift rod throw & linkage to make the the movement fluid, also there are fiber/plastic incerts in the linkages of all the different setups used weather stock or modified that will also cause stiff shifting , pull the inspection plate inside the rear cockpit on the passanger side just before the back seat & feelthe linkage and rocker points see if you feel any rough or sharp peices ( kind of feels like broken ceramic or chipped . i to experienced some of the same symptoms your talking about only mine has not turned out tobeso simple

good luck ps if your around pensacola i have a great mech/