Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums

Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/)
-   New Members Area (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/new-members-area-4/)
-   -   Acura guy wants a 911 (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/new-members-area-4/acura-guy-wants-911-a-2553/)

911fiend 12-24-2006 03:37 AM

Acura guy wants a 911

In short, I've lost my way, but now I'm back! When I was in 8th grade, they asked us to write down what we'll be doing in 10 years. I wrote, "Doing 90 in my Porsche on I-95." Fast forward today. I'm 30, got a family, fully own two Acuras (RSX and TL) and life is great. But I totally forgot my 8th grade dream.A few weeks ago I visited the San Francisco Auto Show and sat myself in a Porschefor the first time - just for the heck of it. Then one of life's "defining moments"occurred. I can't explain the rush I felt when I closed my eyes and wrapped my fingers tightly around the wheel. All my desires from years ago came rushing back! So yesterday I sat down and pondered how I could get into a 911 right now. After a couple of hours on Craig's List last night I realized it might not be so hard! I discovered that a pre-owned 1999 Carrerra goes for around $30-40K, which is right in my comfort zone. I also discovered that 1999 is the first model year of the 996, which makes me think about reliability issues.

So now I want a Porsche, but being a Honda/Acura guy for about 10 years, I'm spoiled by never having to do anything but regular maintenance for thousands and thousands of miles. My question to you guys is - am I going to be in for a rude awakening regarding reliability?

PorscheDoc 12-24-2006 12:02 PM

RE: Acura guy wants a 911

The 996 is a very reliable model, with not much else needed besides routine maintenance, IE brakes, oil changes, spark plugs, etc. Put gas and oil in them, and drive. Some of the C2/4's had RMS issues, which should be resolved with the new 997 seal. They happen occasionally, and not nearly as often as the the internet lets on. There are also a few that have had catastrophic intermediate shaft failures, resulting in a new engine from Porsche. While few and far between, if have one let go and do not have a warranty, then it will be a VERY costly repair.

If you decide that you can afford to pay $40k for a car, I would highly advise against buying a $40k Porsche. Sure you can afford the payments, but as with any used car, there will most likely be some maintenance that needs to be done, and on these cars can be costly. If you find one you want, spend $300 and take it to a dealer or independant Porsche shop and get a PPI (Pre Purchase Inspection) done by someone who really knows the cars. A carfax does not mean anything, I have done PPI's on cars with clean car faxes that have been hit VERY hard and repaired.

911fiend 12-24-2006 05:08 PM

Thanks for the insight PorscheDoc. But I'm a bit confused - you say the 996s are reliable, but then recommend AGAINST buying a used one. Are you advising to buy it new instead?

Aj

PorscheDoc 12-24-2006 05:24 PM

Where did I ever recommend against buying one? I said that if you can only afford the payments on a $40k Porsche, don't buy a $40k Porsche, because you will not have a budget for maintenance etc.

Edit:
For example, the 60k mile service is about a $1000-1200 job depending on where you have it done at. Also at about 60k miles, you can expect to do the brake pads and front rotors at least, which can run up to another $800 easily.

911fiend 12-24-2006 05:52 PM

Ah, gotcha. That's a very good point. I don't even budget for maintenance on my Acuras :)

Thanks for the tip!

JBrill 12-26-2006 03:43 PM

my $.02

A porsche is like no other vehicle on the road, especially compared to japanese cars (not to say japanese cars are not great). You can tell a porsche is a highly defined race car.They are built like a rock, but are extremely expensive to maintain most of the time.

Here's my opinion. Buy a porsche, but dont buy a new one. Ive driven an older 911 and absolutly love the "real" porsche feeling. Yes the newer cars are beautiful peices of machinery, but if you want a 911 so badly, and cannot affor a newer one, do not think that the older 911's are out dated. a porsche never gets old. the older 911's are truley what made porsche what they are today. look for an 80's 911, save some money, use that saved money to INVEST int he car through maintanence. routine maintanence is always an INVESTMENT on a porsche ebcause if it breaks down badly, due to poor maintanence you'll not be to happy :)

911fiend 12-26-2006 08:47 PM

80's Porsche?Not sure, I guess I'd need to drive one and find out what it's all about. Right now my sights are locked on the 2001 Carrera w/Aero Kit. It's a suite spot for me - fairly recent model, none of the first model year jitters, and I just love the rear wing! I see one from an eBay seller in Chicago that looks great, but man I'm nervous about going that route. I just don't know what's going to roll off the truck here in San Jose. I think I'm going to stay local...

Lee Willis 12-26-2006 09:14 PM

You simply have to budget for the maintenance, then decide if you can afford it and if it is worth it for what you get. There is no way you can justify the cost on the basis of trnasportation (same for an Acura, though -- hard to make a case for anything other than a refrigerator white, 4-cylinder Accord with cloth upholstry on the basis of transportation dollars).

The actual Porsche maintenance costs are not that high. Sure, the 60K service costs up to $1500, but that comes after 4-5 years, and oil changes are a bit more expensive than average, and high performance tires last only about 22K miles and cost $350 each, and the brake pads, etc. -- but it still does not come to that much, maybe a total of $100+/month, about three times what that Accord would cost in tires and oil and service, etc. I doubt that additional cost deters anyone who goes ahead after looking at the cost of the car itself.

911fiend 12-26-2006 11:00 PM

$100+ a month - that's a great estimate that I can certainly work with. Thanks Lee!

911fiend 12-27-2006 02:56 PM

Ok, guys. I've come across a listing on eBay that I'm really interested in. Problem is they're in Chicago and I'm San Jose, CA. Do you guys have any recommendations for doing some CYA (cover your a*s) with an online seller ? I'm thinking I'll give them 20K up front (since eBay only covers up to that much) then give the remainder upon delivery and inspection from my own guys. What do you guys think?