Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums

Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/)
-   New Members Area (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/new-members-area-4/)
-   -   Goodbye (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/new-members-area-4/goodbye-1426/)

Lee Willis 01-27-2006 07:44 PM

Goodbye

I know this area is normally for newcomers to introduce themselves but I thought I would use it to say goodbye. I've been on the Porsche, Corvette, Camaro and Mustang forums for some time now and noticed that it was taking a lot of time, but it was enjoyable.

However, all four of these forums have gotten really slow lately, to the point they are no fun at all - I simply sit and stare at a blank screen for a minute or more each time I toggle. I've taken this as an omen that it is time to just dis-engage.

So I am gone, guys, but still a hard-core car fanatic always. It is a beautiful evening here in central Carolina. I am about to start the vette and go cruising.

Goodbye ya'll.

billythekid 01-27-2006 07:57 PM

RE: Goodbye

Lee:

I have not been a member here for long, but I did enjoy your posts since I have been on. Your posts are always entertaining and informative. You and Doc and Tigger and a few others seem to be the only people who post regularly. Without you, it will be several less posts to read when one logs on looking for new posts. Wish you were not leaving. But, I do wish you the best!

CTiggerPigglet 01-30-2006 06:42 AM

Hey Lee, I suppose you won't actualy read this post, but I hope you will pop back every now and again!

I can understand you wanting to free up a little more time to drive the Porsche, Corvette, etc and I agree with you that this forum is slow. I myself have been thinking about not spending so much time on line, so goodbye and good luck, it's been great talking to ya! :D

[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

PorscheDoc 01-30-2006 10:25 AM

Lee if you want a more active forum, check out the 996 forums over at forums.rennlist.com

PR MAN 02-02-2006 09:23 PM

I saw Lee about two weeks ago and will see him again in mid Feb. When I'm in the Carolinas on my reactor certification project I see him pretty regularly and actually sometimes work in the same building as him, I think we even use the same e-mail server sometimes because or message to one another are turly instantaneous. (I'm in Raleigh now but he's out of town somewhere).

His Mom is dying and he's been working hard while taking time off to handle all that, so I think he's just too busy and a bit burned out. I'll see if I can talk him into coming back. He is a lot of fun - he got me started here, never knew about this forum until he told me.

Patrick 02-03-2006 04:28 PM

he is a great forum member, and has a wealth of knowledge...

on the behalf of the forum and administration, thanks for the insight and your time here...you are always welcome here should you find the time.

Lee Willis 02-04-2006 12:38 PM

Okay, Okay. I'm back. I apologize. I went by my office this morning to find a nasty note on my desk that Preston Rector (PR MAN) left telling me what a fink I am and a nifty little 2 1/2 inch matchbox model of my Porsche (it's really cute and the same color, etc, even the interior - cool) that he left.

So, I'll be here from time to time, as I do enjoy the Porsche forum, but not on some of the other sister forums: it was just taking too much time away from my hobbies, both the cars and particulalry the model ships, which are actually dearer to my heart.

PR MAN 02-06-2006 08:59 AM

Hey, it wasn't that nasty: it simply explained what a scumbag you are to get me and Taylor so interested in car forums and then you fink out.

Believe it or not I found that little model Porsche at the CVs Drug while picking up some cough syrup, $2.96. Wish they made them in 993 versions.

Model ships-dearer to your heart?

Patrick 02-08-2006 12:55 PM

i am also intrigued by these model ships..?

Lee Willis 02-09-2006 03:30 PM

Well, okay. My first love (beside my wife) is building model ships -- started about 50+ years ago at age 6: that first one was pretty in my eyes although i believe my Dad viewed it as a waste of good scrap wood. For the past 20 years I have been building scratch built (i.e., not kits, no pre-fab parts) models of warships from the Napoleonic and early iron era: turn each cannon barrel from brass rod on a tiny lathe, etc.

I am now about half-way through building a complete set of models of every class of warship that was in the English Navy at the time of Trafalger, from the 10-gun Pygmy class cutter, up to the biggest ship of the line, all in 1/87th scale (that's the same scale as HO model trains and I picked it just because it works out well for these types of ships and no one else builds in this scale, that I'm aware of).

Picture shows still incomplete model, roughly 30 inches long at the waterline, of the 110-gun ship of the line Ville de Paris (Yeah, that is a French name - long story there but ultimately an insult to the French). It was the largest warship in commission in the English navy, and Earl St. Vincent's Flagship of Fleet, at the the time of Trafalger. I've been working on it on and off for seven years and it has roughly 11000 parts on it now: it took a year just to build the seven ships boats (lifeboats) which were actually the first things done (they are not in the picture). Just completed installing 228 simulated gunport hinges. It is only about a year from completion now.

And yes, I know the workshop is a total mess. That's half the fun.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1383/72B58CDF17064D6D9A8FAA6D2A64DBFA.jpg[/IMG]