Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums

Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/)
-   Porsche 356 (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-356-14/)
-   -   911 engine into a 356 (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-356-14/911-engine-into-356-a-2440/)

justin1 11-29-2006 02:16 PM

911 engine into a 356

Maybe I will get shot but I have a car which will never be a museum masterpiece. I will do the best I can in restoring but everything has its limits. Its a 1964 356C and I would start by rebuilding the engine or have it done. Big dollars are to be expected. Maybe it would be better to install a 911 engine, get some real excitement with some power and still get the fun of the old shape and body. I am new to this but my guess is KIT cars are not well accepted into the "CLUB" I imagine people always have to explain its a "KIT" and it probably takes a bit away from the whole game or maybe I am thinking too much and need to get a life. I don't have any buddies with a Porsche or even thinking in this direction, I grew up in California where they were the center of cool. Now in Florida and outside of Miami or Lauderdale, if its not a pick-up you might be from the moon. Anyway, will a 911 engine fit in the 356?

CTiggerPigglet 11-30-2006 02:18 PM

RE: 911 engine into a 356

Hi Justin, I have no idea if the 911 will fit in the 356, but it would be an awsome thing to do!

As with most things car wise, it most proberbly can be done, but how much it would cost is another thing? Swapping the engine wouldn't be the only thing to consider. What about the brakes, suspension, steering, cooling, electrics, etc?

I think this would be a BIG job, but never say never. I'm sure if you look hard enough on the net, you will find someone who has already done this conversion.

A.T.B. CTiggerPigglet!!!!!
[sm=gears.gif]

CTiggerPigglet 11-30-2006 02:36 PM

Hi Justin, I've just done a quick search and found a U.K. company that has done this conversion.....Picture ____ Web site link....www.gantspeed.co.uk.....so it can be done. Why not contact them, they may be able to give you some tips?

I've also found someone in Belgium who has a 356 replica with a flat six fitted. See attached picture and/or click on web page link.....Click here!!!!

http://trinityhome.org/~harakiri/pic...21-640x480.jpg

justin1 11-30-2006 03:26 PM

Wow! Thanks for the response. At least I know I have the support of one enthusist and I won't get shot. This is a Wild Picture, I am not sure I get it. Seems like the fan is pointed up???? This can't be the case. I will contact the Company and see what they have to say and your comments about brakes etc. are spot on, its not a small undertaking by any means but the end result would be super fun, I am more about the end use than the road to get there. It would be good to find a partner in the project for moral support if nothing more. I would love to get a partner who is a Super Mechanic and really knows his way around the engine room. Anybody out there in the South Florida area?

dlc356 01-16-2007 09:59 PM

Justin,

I've seen a couple conversions done. Most of the ones have been with 3.0 and smaller 6's. One of the cleanest I've seen was a 3.0 with a 901 trans. The guy actually had a set of real flares off a car he used to race in the 60's and mounted the mid 80's style Fuchs. The car ended up essentially being a 911 with a 356 body. It was featured inthe PCAPanorama magazine around 1986 (I think). He ended up using mufflers off a Corvair because he was having some kind of clearence issue.

Dave

veggiecar300 07-01-2007 06:45 PM

Not totally related, but my dad used to have a Karmann Ghia with a Super 90 Porsche engine and a VW bus front suspension.

I'm no expert but it seems to me that part of Dr. Porsche's genius lay in the way he used and reused ideas for different purposes.