Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums

Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/)
-   Porsche 911 (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-911-8/)
-   -   2005 Turbo S Cab Tip sluggishness (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-911-8/2005-turbo-s-cab-tip-sluggishness-11256/)

Ashmore86 05-21-2012 10:11 AM

2005 Turbo S Cab Tip sluggishness

I recently purchased a 2005 911 Turbo S Cabriolet Tiptronic with 15000 miles. I am noting several things and I want to get advice.

1. Every third or fourth startup, I get a 3 second wisp of bluish smoke from the exhaust which clears and does not smoke any more.

2. The car is VERY slow in my opinion from 0-30 until the turbos get spinning. Ex. 0-10 1.32sec, 0-20 2.17sec, 0-30 2.92 sec, 0-40 3.53 sec, 0-60 5.32sec. This is the only run I've tested and I'll get more, but they are representative of how the car "feels" as well.

3. If I am just simply driving the car and I make a right turn onto a residential street, I am noticing a hesitation in 2nd gear right when I crack the throttle .

4. I don't have a history of any tune ups on the car, but it does show .8-.9 ATM boost.

5. I have ordered a "tuning kit" from Vividracing and it includes ECU programming, plugs (1 step colder), K&N filter, diverter valves and an F-hose.

6. Obviously, I will be getting the car checked at a local Porsche dealer, and I'll likely have them do to mods as well as any tune-up it may need/oil/etc.

The question is-is there a trick to getting this 5-speed moving, or does everyone experience these things in the 05.. I find several locations reporting 3.5-3.7 0-60 times in this car...are they doing this in 40 deg. F weather?

Lee Willis 05-29-2012 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Ashmore86 (Post 29757)
I recently purchased a 2005 911 Turbo S Cabriolet Tiptronic with 15000 miles. I am noting several things and I want to get advice.

1. Every third or fourth startup, I get a 3 second wisp of bluish smoke from the exhaust which clears and does not smoke any more.MINE DID EXACTLY THAT ALMOST FROM NEW,-- FOR FOUR YEARS. THEY JUST DO THAT.

2. The car is VERY slow in my opinion from 0-30 until the turbos get spinning. Ex. 0-10 1.32sec, 0-20 2.17sec, 0-30 2.92 sec, 0-40 3.53 sec, 0-60 5.32sec. This is the only run I've tested and I'll get more, but they are representative of how the car "feels" as well.
YOU DID NOT EXPLAIN HOW YOU GOT THOSE NUMBERS. YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO EQUAL ROAD TEST RESULTS FROM MAGAZINES. SOME TIPS START OUT IN SECOND GEAR, BT THE WAY. YOUR 40-60 TIME IS NOT TOO GOOD AND BY THEN THE TURBOS AND EVERYTHING OUGHT TO BE UP TO FULL REVS. HAVE IT CHECKED, BUT REALIZE THIS IS A SEVEN YEAR OLD CAR AND NOT NEARLY AS FAST AS NEWER CARS.
3. If I am just simply driving the car and I make a right turn onto a residential street, I am noticing a hesitation in 2nd gear right when I crack the throttle . tIPS SOMETIMES DO THIS, TOO.

4. I don't have a history of any tune ups on the car, but it does show .8-.9 ATM boost.

5. I have ordered a "tuning kit" from Vividracing and it includes ECU programming, plugs (1 step colder), K&N filter, diverter valves and an F-hose. THESE GENERALLY DON'T DO WELL. LEAVE IT STOCK OR TAKE IT TO A G O O D SHOP.

6. Obviously, I will be getting the car checked at a local Porsche dealer, and I'll likely have them do to mods as well as any tune-up it may need/oil/etc.

The question is-is there a trick to getting this 5-speed moving, or does everyone experience these things in the 05.. I find several locations reporting 3.5-3.7 0-60 times in this car...are they doing this in 40 deg. F weather?

MAKE SURE IT IS STARTING IN 1ST GEAR - SOME OF THEM DEFAULT TO A 2ND GEAR START UNLESS YOU PUT IT IN MANAUL SELECTION AND FORCE IT DOWN INTO 1ST. i HAD A CARRERA s TIP FOR A WHILE AND IT ANNOYED ME NO END WITH THAT.