Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

aftermarket wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 05:29 AM
Default aftermarket wheels

Would like to replace the stock wheels on a C4s wtih something from teh aftermarket, more agressive ofset on rear wheels. I have been keeping my eyes open, and even looking on line at used cars, but rarely see any car with other than stock wheels. Is there some obvios reason I am missing as to
why most leave the stock wheels on the car ?

Old 03-15-2008, 06:10 AM
Default RE: aftermarket wheels

Well, first, there is less performance incentive to change wheels with a Porsche. The factory original wheels are pretty good: strong, lightweight, and the proper size (both diameter and width). Porsche's aren't built to much of a budget constraint (all cars are built to a budget, but Porsche allows enough to do it right and just passes the cost on to the customer) so there is really little or nothing to be gained in performance on a stock, street Porsche by changing out wheels (racing, or a heavily modified car, might be another matter).

Second, I think only a small segment of Porsche owners are into "bling" -- wanting flashy or ornate or wide wheels to "enhance" the appearance of their car, so few owners change them out for esthetics.

Finally, there is price: a good set of aftermarket wheels for a Porsche will be at least $3200. If you shop around, you will find that aftermarket wheels for Porsches tend to be rather high pricey. Porsches require wide wheels, and while diameter is cheap (I've seen $200 22" wheels) width rarely is, because when combined with light weight it is difficult to do with enough strength for the power and high speed: one needs a strong but light, wide wheel which rules out a lot of cheaper aftermarket wheels. I have actually seen a major national wheel retailer refuse to sell discount wheels for a high performance car because they weren't strong enough ("Buy 'em someone else, buddy. We're not going to kill you.").

For example, the last set of aftermarket wheels I bought was a set of 225-mph qualified Fikse's for my vette, actually, but all of this applies. They were billet machine, model 5Sall aluminum, the fronts were only 10 inches wide but the rears were 13 inches width and the whole set cost nearly six grand. Now five or six thousand really isn't a lot of money relative to the cost of a Porsche (by which I mean it is roughly equal, compared to the cost of the car, to some kid putting a $500 set on his used Honda Civic, whichyousee done all the time), but I think the cost puts off some owners. This puzzles me a bit actually, as you would think that anyone who buys a Porsche would have enough money thata purchase like that would not really be that difficult for them, but I know of a couple of owners who didn't buy for that very reason.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:53 AM
Default RE: aftermarket wheels

Agreed that no bling is necessary. Having said that, check out www.championmotorsports.com . They have awesome wheels for Porsches. My local dealer here in Toronto (Pfaff Porsche) certifies them as good for Porsches. The rear wheels are somewhat inset and they provide a great look. They are lighter for better braking and handling.
It makes more sense if you use them as summer wheels and switch to the stock ones for winter.
Otherwise, you can always sell your stock rims.
They really add a nice touch to the car...