Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums

Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/)
-   Porsche 911 (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-911-8/)
-   -   Buying a 997S any major problems w/model (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-911-8/buying-997s-any-major-problems-w-model-902/)

SA Mike 07-12-2005 10:32 PM

Buying a 997S any major problems w/model

Hi all, just wanted to ask current owners of new 997 S, if they have experienced any major problems with this paticular model. Having owned an VW R32, I have witnessed first hand the problems of owning a first year run car. I have placed my order and it should be coming in September. I currently am selling my 00 Lotus Esprit V8 and can't wait for the 997 to come in. Any advice would help, negative or positive.

Mike

Starbelly 07-13-2005 01:47 AM

RE: Buying a 997S any major problems w/model

Hey Mike, my neighbor has a 997S ... I think he's had it since last oct/nov, and absolutely no problems. I had the same concern and so opted for a 2 year old 996, fantastic car but I will soon be upgrading to a 05 C2S... I just can't resist the extra 35 or so HP. Also have a friend with a 05 C4S, also no problems...hope that helps.

SA Mike 07-13-2005 05:21 PM

Yes it does, thanks for the response. I wish I had gone to a forum before I bought the Lotus. It's not that it's bad car, but there were certain quality build issues that Lotus' have had with that particular model, and if I had known that before hand I would thought twice about buying it.

Thanks,
Mike

1624AHM 07-28-2005 08:49 PM

My Carerra 3.6 is excellent, and given the testing that Porsche now do, one expects great reliability.

Given that I do NOT understand how a company with their record and customer loyality, can have produced cars over the years with such engine etc problems. Even the 996 with the 3.4 l engine had problems that quality control should never have allowed. The Toyota engineers have, however, led Porsche into habits that have transformed the Cpy since 2000 or so.

I will be ecstatic if the 911 is as reliable as my 1995 NSX, but I remain to be convinced!

That was one reason I did NOT buy the S model, as the engine is new, while the 3.6 has been alive for 3-4 years in 996/997 form. The 3.6L is a great and fast car, with little difference in performance, and that mainly above 100mph. I have PASM and banked the $-rest!

KIWICanuck

Kingsnawwww997 05-31-2009 11:31 AM

Hey Mike, I just got a 07 997S and I love it, absolutely no worries, Ive been driving it about 2 to 3 times a week for the past year and not a single thing has gone wrong. The only problem, no sport button????? i have the spoiler button, the PASM button and the PSM button, but it skips over the sport button....does anyone know why?