Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums

Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/)
-   Porsche 911 (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-911-8/)
-   -   Daily driver and winter (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-911-8/daily-driver-winter-5455/)

bion 03-13-2008 10:15 PM

Daily driver and winter

I'm a new member currently driving a S/C E46 M3 but would like to move to the Porsche experience. However, my car has to be my daily driver including in the snow and cold Canadian winters. I am looking at a 2004+ 4s or turbo but given the torque differences I wanted to ask for advice from anyone driving all year in similar conditions. I enjoy about a dozen days on the track a year and the occassional road trip.
Thanks folks!

Lee Willis 03-14-2008 06:19 PM

RE: Daily driver and winter

You can put snow tires on a Porsche, particularly a 4-wheel drive one, and get amazingly good traction in the snow: the snow rubber compound, treadpattern, and the fact that the wheels and tires will be narrower all help a lot.

But I question doing that. Seems to me a person who can afford a Turbo or upscale Carrera ought to do what I have: buy a beater for snow and mud days. I have a '92 Ford Ranger I bought for 1800$US which with $1100 in pro-active repairs has been rock solid reliable even in below zero weather (and not much more expensive than a set of good rims and snow tires for a Carrera). The Porsche and my other treasures stay inside, toasty warm, and nothing goes out in harm's way except something that I would not regret getting banged up.

bion 03-15-2008 08:29 AM

Thanks Lee.

I appreciate the comments as it's a bit difficult to get my head around such a major purchase without having driven one nor not knowing much about it (and of course the dealer has lots of "everything is great" stories). We recently moved and now have no parking space for an extra car and to be truthful, I love driving all year around. In Calgary we get snow and cold but often a week or two when the roads are dry enough to have some driving fun as well so it's great to have the car running for these spells. I understand the winter car argument fits well for others so mean disrespect to those who go thr route.

Enjoy the spring when you get your car back on the road. Is it me or does the Porsche crowd seem like an unusually friendly crowd?

Bruce

carsnob 03-15-2008 11:48 AM

sorry, but I disagree with Lee.
I say go get a c4S cab. But '05 or newer.
I had an '02 C4 cab for years of Canadian winters. With 4 snows, it's no problem. I used to have a BMW M roadster and would see it sitting for months on end. All of that money and not even using it.
Life's too short to drive a beater in the winter.
I've been driving an '06 C4S cab and it's been great. Heated rear window, means no problem with fog and moisture. You get to enjoy it all the time, and it's better than any other 4 wheel drive out there. The new style interior and other changes make for a much nicer car than the older series. Btw, better yet, do a European delivery on a new one and you'll never regret the experience. (more money but worth it!)

k2we 03-15-2008 11:49 AM

Bruce, I understand your position.I own a 2007 Targa 4 which spends most of the winter in the garage. It's not that I don't want to drive it in the snow, but I'm just afraid of the other crazy people who have no idea what there doing. Also, the Porsche is so low, going thru more that 4" of snow is just about impossable. I own a 2007 Chevy Tahoe which is my daily winter car. I have seen my share of winter & snow related accidents where one stupid person caused several other vehicles to crash. Mysuggestion is for you to get a nice, recent all wheel drive or 4WD vehicle for those days when the weather is bad and spare the Porsche..We still have about 20" of frozen snow here in up-state New York butI do have the Targe on the road and I'm enjoying it..

Good luck on whatever you do..

Steve (k2we) in Saratoga Springs, NY

bion 03-15-2008 10:10 PM

Oh oh.

Test drove a 2007 Turbo today. It is the first Porsche I have driven and I now have a bit of a taste why you folks drive Porsche. Sorry, hard to write with this stupid grin and adrenalin shakes.
I can see if you keep the rpm low and have good winter tires, this is doable. My wife says go for it so think I will think about it, still a lot of $ for initial lay out and I think new tires more often.
Thanks for the friendly and helpful replies. I suspect the Porsche car clubs are something I want to check out to meet other enthusiasts given the posts I've read here.
My S/C M3 puts out 480 bhp but it's performance is a long way from my drive today. Can't put it into words, as you well know.
Cheers.

bion 03-16-2008 09:29 AM

Yes, I can sure appreciate your point given the crazy driving by some 4x4 (perhaps they think they are free from the laws of physics) drivers in particular. I always stop about a car length or so from the car in front of me and look in the rear view for the people who have failed to think through stopping and I've had to move forward many a time (also turning to prayer and anything else to give me luck) to avoid being rear ended. Hope your storms are over soon and the spring roads dry up for you.

Lee Willis 03-16-2008 08:40 PM

The issue with the beater isn't that the Porsche won't go in the snow. First, it's great to have an old truck -- everyone should have one frankly. Hauled a full trunkbed load of lumber this weekend.

But mostly, in really bad weather, it's the other driver I don't trust. I've been in three wrecks in my life. All occurred in snow/ice and were the other drivers' fault. In each case I was luckily in a big car (two Caddies, one big Olds 98) and I'd rather have a big heavy box around me than be in the Carrera when that happens. The car will handle snow, and its not it I worry about in a wreck. It's me.

cmilam 03-17-2008 05:19 PM

Your traction will be decent with snow tires, but watch your braking. My friend drivesa 4S and said that his traction was ok, but his braking was terrible. Don't really know frist hand since my Targa doesn't see snow. For me life is too short to trash my Porsche in the rough Colorado winters. They use a lot of gravel out here that does a job on your paint (not just the front end) and windshields.

bion 03-18-2008 09:09 AM

Thanks and good point. I'm test driving a few 996 and 2007 997 TT so this info is useful so I can inquire into this re our local winter driving conditions. If you have any more detailes re the braking issue I'd appreciate knowing about them (e.g., understeer, oversteeer, in line sliding, type of winter tires?). In a worst case scenerio there is a possibility of using my wife's car (if she's not working) and my work schedule is often flexible so I hope this helps the odd day of huge snow dumps. I don't have parking for a 3rd car, period. And, I just enjoy driving (with my current M) every day. Anyway, I appreciate the braking issue since I have some experience with this already but it sounds like an issue that requires more care with Porsche. If I'm lucky we could still have a dump of snow here and if so I will try it out. But you are right, daily driver = wear and tear on the paint.

Off topic but, I did a road trip to Colorado last summer and found the roads (except in Denver - pot hole city in places) and people among the best I've ever met. I hope to visit again.

Good luck.
Bruce