Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

do I need a new motor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 09:59 AM
Default do I need a new motor?

Hey doc, or anyone else who has been through this,

The warning light on the temp gauge started blinking. The gauge never read anything above normal, and I assumed this meant the coolant was a bit low. After the car sat overnight I filled the coolant (took about 2 quarts) I drove it for about 7 miles and it ran great, but when I checked the coolant it was quite low again, and when I pulled the dipstick to my horror I realized where the coolant had gone. I had it towed to my local shop where they inspected it and they said they won’t know for sure till they take the motor out and disassemble it, but they can’t find anything wrong with it other than when they pour coolant into the tank, it goes straight into the oil pan. They think they can save the motor, but I worry about paying to take the motor outto disassemble it only to find that I need a new motor.

The motor has never been hot, and it has always run great. Is it possible that I caught it just in time and its possible to fix it, or should I park it till I can afford a new motor?

Appreciate the help,

Kevin

Old 07-08-2008, 05:32 PM
Default RE: do I need a new motor?

Coolant that never leaks onto the floor almost always is an significant engine problem. Most of the time a car engine has a blown head gasket or at some time got too hot (even for a very short time) and warped the aluminum head and creates a way for the coolant to slip into the piston and into the oil pan.A slight leakage can cause the coolant to burn up in the combustion chamber and not be visable on the dipstick. However 2 quarts per night sounds like a big problem. A big leak will show oil mixed with coolant or a foamy brown on the dipstick. Worse problems could be a cracked engine block which will have to be replaced with a new block or new or used engine if the repair price is close. A blown head gasket just needs a new head gasket installed, still not cheap. A warped aluminum head needs a new head or a remachined head with the warpage removedplus a new head gasket. The problem itself determines the cost of repair as well as whether you take it to the dealer or someone else. If you didn't (think back) run it hot even for a short time then you must figure out why the problem arose since you are repairing the symptom of a serious problem. Maybe your electric cooling fan malfunctioned or something but you can't afford to keep fixing the motor andwhile youfigure out whats causing the problem. Since the motor needs repair you might troubleshoot why the coolant leaks in the firts place on the bad motor before you put in a repaired motor.

Steve

1980 911sc (air-cooled)yeahhhh

Old 07-08-2008, 06:49 PM

Thanks Steve,

That’s the way I've been leaning as the rest ofmy car is in pristine condition considering the age of it. Just like many other 911 owners I am very particular about taking care of my car, and I go to bed at night knowing that I couldn't have taken better care of this one. Hopefully it is just a head gasket, and the motor can be saved. Like you said its still not cheap, but still a lot less than a replacement engine. If I hadn't checked the dipstick I wouldn'thave ever known there was a problem because it still ran great. For now I had it towed to my home where it sits in my garage till I can figure out what I am going to do.

Kevin

Old 07-08-2008, 06:50 PM

Kevin,

I would think your engine would be worth rebuilding. From what you described it didn’t sound like anything metallic snapped or bent. One item does come to mind, however. If you’re not in the habit of changing your antifreeze very often or used the wrong type there is a good chance the old acidic mixture ate through the journals. This happened to me a few years back when I owned a 280 GE with an aluminum head and 100 k on the clock. Fixing the head was relatively inexpensive. It was the labor charge to take it apart and put it back together that was the killer.

Good Luck

Jack

Old 07-08-2008, 07:07 PM

Thanks for the reply Jack,

The coolant has been changed within the last 2 years, as there was a TSB on these cars for the Coolant Res. Tank, and that service was done. I have been fortunate to have a good local shop that works on Porsches, and they charge much less than the dealer does. Their whole team of mechanics looked at it and said the motor seems to be intact, and nothing wrong other than coolant leaks into engine crankcase. Hope they can fix my baby.

Kevin

Old 10-17-2008, 11:14 PM

It's like deja vu all over again - I just had the same experience, and the car is now at the shop. My mechanic is offering the option of pulling it apart, and possibly having to replace the engine, or simply replace the engine.

is rebuilding a more economical solution?

Old 10-25-2008, 08:45 AM

Yes, if there is not any damage done to the engine, which is where I am at (I think). I still haven't had the head gasket replaced yet, as I have fallen on economic hard times, but I will be in a position to have it fixed in a few more months. Anyway, I had the shop drain the oil and the coolant, and had it towed to my house where it sits in my garage till I can get it fixed.

Kevin