Notices
Porsche 911 The Porsche 911 (and all it's trimlines) is a famous, distinctive and durable car has undergone continuous development since its arrival in 1964. The 911 was developed as a more powerful, larger, more comfortable replacement for the Porsche 356.

First Drive - New '09's

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 08:35 PM
Default First Drive - New '09's

I drove new '09 cars yesterday. Both "S" versions; one with PDK and one with 6-spd. Neither had Sport Chrono pkg. I found the PDK somewhat disappointing. True, it shifted very smoothly in auto mode and was only fair in manu-matic, but it just seemed sluggish compared to my current 07 C4S 6 speed, with Sport-Chrono. Of course, without the sport pkg, it was a bit hard to fully compare. I had to hit the floorboards to really get the engine/trans combo to show its stuff. The 6-spd car, even without the Sport chrono pkg, was much improved. I could clearly feel the quicker and crisper engine response. I am betting with the sport option, it'll really show its improvements over the prior 997 cars.
But then...I hoped into a '07 GT3 and then an '08 Turbo, and once again...no comparison! They just blow away the base and S cars.

Not sure if I'll change out soon, or simply wait until we see what Porsche does with the turbo to upgrade it as the competition and even it's own "S" cars keep moving ahead to overtake the turbo.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:29 PM
Default RE: First Drive - New '09's

"Floorboard" ???

Yikes...I've never come close to ever getting there in mine!

How'd you get your hands on these....dealer had 'em?

Must have been fun!

Old 10-13-2008, 09:09 PM

Well, I drove an S pdk last weekend and also thought the trans was sort of lethargic. What I noticed, back to back with the Aston, was this: the Porsche had noticeably more power off the line and to about 100 mph or so, not sure above 100 although it felt not faster: but it's handling was substantially less balanced and smooth both are so extreme I would not push it to determine which can outhandle or out sweep the other in fast bends, but the Aston feelz much more balanced and linear (this was a big surprise although I had read about this in comparison to '08 Turbos in some comparison tests still it was a surprise). And the Aston just felt a bit better, driving, the seats are better (and for the price, they ought to be). Still, I liked the S's power, which was strong everywhere and immediate, and the pdk is basically good: I understand that psychlogically one expects faster shifts and that its actually doing very well, so I will forgive the fact that it seems to shift slow: I can't shift a manual as fast, I know.

And I really liked the relaxed revs in 7th onthe highway. Finally, Porsche gets it.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:27 PM

Agree re "floorboards". In my current C4S I essentially never get that far. Yet, with the PDK, that's the only time I really felt the car perform to potential.
I'm interested in more thoughts and comparisons re the new '09 Aston Vantage, as I believe it's one of the most beautiful cars produced today. I took a hard look at an '07, but felt the 380hp engine was not up to the task of moving that heavy car around. I was also very disappointed in the ride/chassis feel. Quit rough and not well dampened. I wonder if the new 09's are really better?