Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums

Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/)
-   Porsche 911 (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-911-8/)
-   -   Porsche 911 (997S) Carrera S.-What is the best aftermarket exhaust? (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-911-8/porsche-911-997s-carrera-s-what-best-aftermarket-exhaust-8756/)

Orion 12-16-2009 09:51 AM

Porsche 911 (997S) Carrera S.-What is the best aftermarket exhaust?

I have a 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera S.
I am looking to buy an aftermarket cat-back exhaust system. My main concerns are that it has a good build quality and a "Raspy"-loud exhaust note. Similar to F1 cars.

I have viewed 911s with Kreissieg exhaust on youtube and I love it. It is the sound that I am looking for, but it is WAAY out of my budget at $5800 just for the cat-back system.

So, I am considering: Tubi or SpeedArt
or USA made: Fabspeed or AWE

Any suggestions on any other brands?
Any suggestions on the brands mentioned? Explain?

Thanks

PorscheDoc 12-16-2009 03:51 PM

You aren't going to get a raspy loud sound just by changing the mufflers unless you do muffler bypasses. The cats are the main restriction in the system, so until you do those and headers, I don't know if you are going to get what you are looking for.

I am partial to Fabspeed. I have never used any of awe's NA exhausts, but their turbo exhaust has horrible resonation at cruising speeds.

Orion 12-17-2009 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc (Post 24704)
You aren't going to get a raspy loud sound just by changing the mufflers unless you do muffler bypasses. The cats are the main restriction in the system, so until you do those and headers, I don't know if you are going to get what you are looking for.

I am partial to Fabspeed. I have never used any of awe's NA exhausts, but their turbo exhaust has horrible resonation at cruising speeds.

Dear PorscheDoc,

I looked in AWE's website and read this:
http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/shar...IL=997Sexhaust

"Our system is also modular, meaning that any one of the three components can be installed along with the stock components. For example, if a sweeter sound is your primary desire, you can install just our mufflers. Or if you are looking for maximum performance, replace your mufflers, cat sections, and headers with our versions. See the dyno sheets below for the gains found with each stage of tune. If a particular combination is not shown below, do not hesitate to contact us, as we most likely have the dyno sheet in our archives."

My main goal in buying a new exhaust system is the louder sound output.
I use to own a C5 Vette and when I changed just the cat-back system...It made a huge difference in the sound level over stock system. I know that a Vette is totally different from a 911. According to AWE (see above), the mufflers are the main (not the only) part that controls the sound level output. I really appreciate your input, but I don't want to overbuy OR underbuy.

Thanks again,
orion

PorscheDoc 12-17-2009 01:06 PM

Pretty much everyone's system is modular. You have 3 components to the exhaust system, headers, cats, and mufflers. The mufflers will make a difference in noise but you aren't going to get some F1 sounds by doing the mufflers. I have installed hundreds of exhaust systems on 996/997's, so take it for what it is worth.

Orion 12-17-2009 02:54 PM

Thanks PorscheDoc... your responses were helpful

QUESTIONS:
1) Would you happen to have a Buyer's Guide for the 997s like the one you posted for the 996s?

2) During replacement of headers, cats, and mufflers....Does the rear bumper or bumper cover of my 997S have to come-off?

PorscheDoc 12-20-2009 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Orion (Post 24710)
Thanks PorscheDoc... your responses were helpful

QUESTIONS:
1) Would you happen to have a Buyer's Guide for the 997s like the one you posted for the 996s?

2) During replacement of headers, cats, and mufflers....Does the rear bumper or bumper cover of my 997S have to come-off?

1) Sorry, I have not done one with the 997's

2) Nope, no reason to pull the bumper.

arthrd2 04-22-2015 07:57 PM

Do you have any suggestions for ecu tuning upgrades for the 997 S?