Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums

Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/)
-   Porsche 924 (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-924-12/)
-   -   924S Project Car: Opinions needed (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-924-12/924s-project-car-opinions-needed-9657/)

finaltable 11-03-2010 04:59 PM

924S Project Car: Opinions needed

I have always wanted to restore an older car, the kind without a computer on which I could work myself. I worked in a garage before and worked as a utility hand on an oil platform so tools are not new to me. I have a son who just turned 9 and thought it would be a great project to get a car when he was approaching driving age and do this as a father/son project. I have an uncle who runs a garage who works on everything from Fords & Hondas to Porsches & Jags. My plan was that I would pick a car to restore and have him help me outfit a workshop for that car. He has access to all the online manuals and has the equipment to do anything major I cannot do myself. My original plan had been a 1960's American car because I knew parts would always be available.

I was visiting him at his shop the other day, talking about my plans. One of his employees overheard me and said, "You know" pointing to a car under a tarp "that Porsche over there would be great for you." It turns out he had completely restored a 1987 924S for his "idiot son" (his words) who tried to race a Boxster on IH-35 a couple of years ago and blew the engine. He has a replacement engine for it but hasn't done the work because the son moved to another state and "he doesn't deserve it anyway" (another quote). The car is sound outside and the interior looks good.

This idea is attractive to me but I worry about it being a money pit for parts. Obviously, I have a support system most people don't have through my uncle but I still don't want to get into something for which minor repair parts will cost a fortune.

I appreciate hearing opinions on this. I've always wanted a 911 Targa so this seems to be a great lead in to getting my own Porsche.

Art Meens 12-28-2010 04:51 PM

restoring a 924S

initially I would say: "go for it!".
But a rule of thumb is - you have to buy right.
To buy right, you have to buy low enough that the work you put into it is paid for by the increase in value of the car.
The 924S is a nice car and parts are available...see various dealers - AutoAtlanta GA is where I get my stuff.
You will love the ride once you get it going....
Today the cars are not worth much relative to other Porches.....but here is how I look at it...
Say the car - on the road and running is worth $6,000.00....this one may be worth more or less I do not know...just a level.
So, say start a $6,000.00 including the new engine...because without it install the car is worth nothing....it does not run.
You start at the market value - in this case I have suggested maybe $6,000.00 or whatever it is...the internet will tell you that or autoatlanta...
Take off the cost of removing the engine and putting the new one in......assume the transmission is okay - hah - no...the drive train - hah - no....the electrics...haha again - no....
So, I would say maybe $1,500.00 - $2,500.00 is the bid all in....
After you have done the work, the car should be worth what it cost you to bring it to road worthy condition.
After that point any new repairs should only be done when the market value increases.....
I think these cars will eventually hit the public eye as collectors but first we have to get all the junk ones off the market - that could take a while.
Auto Atlanta is a good source for prices...see their web site...
If you do not hit on this one - get an MGB....they are easy to work on and appreciate and there is a market for them....the 924 and 944 are not a favorite of the Porche crowd due to their rear wheel front engine configuration...
But they are a beautiful car to drive as they are perfectly balanced....they corner like no other car....
good luck - art

altedo 02-01-2011 04:21 PM

initially I would say: "go for it!". But a rule of thumb is - you have to buy right. To buy right, you have to buy low enough that the work you put into it is paid for by the increase in value of the car. The 924S is a nice car and parts are available...see various dealers - AutoAtlanta GA is where I get my stuff. You will love the ride once you get it going.... Today the cars are not worth much relative to other Porches.....but here is how I look at it... Say the car - on the road and running is worth $6,000.00....this one may be worth more or less I do not know...just a level. So, say start a $6,000.00 including the new engine...because without it install the car is worth nothing....it does not run. You start at the market value - in this case I have suggested maybe $6,000.00 or whatever it is...the internet will tell you that or autoatlanta... Take off the cost of removing the engine and putting the new one in......assume the transmission is okay - hah - no...the drive train - hah - no....the electrics...haha again - no.... So, I would say maybe $1,500.00 - $2,500.00 is the bid all in.... After you have done the work, the car should be worth what it cost you to bring it to road worthy condition. After that point any new repairs should only be done when the market value increases..... I think these cars will eventually hit the public eye as collectors but first we have to get all the junk ones off the market - that could take a while. Auto Atlanta is a good source for prices...see their web site... If you do not hit on this one - get an MGB....they are easy to work on and appreciate and there is a market for them....the 924 and 944 are not a favorite of the Porche crowd due to their rear wheel front engine configuration... But they are a beautiful car to drive as they are perfectly balanced....they corner like no other car.... good luck - art
Так, так ))

951jamie 02-15-2011 08:35 AM

First off, the 924S and the 911 are two totally different Porsches! Like comparing apples to oranges! If this car is going to be for your son, I would say yes as it is a good car to teach a young one mechanics!! As for parts and knowledge, give us a call at 944online.com and we will help you any way possible! Good luck !!