Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums

Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/)
-   Porsche 924 (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-924-12/)
-   -   need 924 engine swap info (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-924-12/need-924-engine-swap-info-9332/)

josephvh 07-02-2010 01:17 PM

need 924 engine swap info

Background: I have an engine that my father built years ago and I have been looking for a project car to swap it into. It's a 153ci I4 Chevy with a cross flow head off a 350, header, turbo, etc. It's been sitting and will probably need a rebuilding and fitting to make it work. I have always loved Porsches and have decided that a 924 would be my best bet (fairly light, already liquid cooled, front engine I4 powered, etc.) to bring this project to life.

So, what I need to know now from someone that is knowledgeable on 924s is if this will work and what I will need to do it. I assume motormounts and a bellhousing would be the major items. A larger radiator with electric fans would probably be a good idea too.

I'm looking to get a running 924 and use it until the engine is ready to go in. So, tell me how crazy I am. Thank you.

PorscheDoc 07-02-2010 01:23 PM

A 924S would make a fine candidate, and you shouldn't need a larger radiator and it already has electric fans. The car runs a 2.5L, so I don't see an issue with another I-4 in regards to cooling. As you stated, figuring out the mount mounts and bellhousing/clutch setup will be your biggest issue.

josephvh 07-02-2010 01:29 PM

I also need to know how much power the stock drivetrain can take. I'm thinking this engine will make at most 200hp but that's still almost double what the stock car made so that worries me.

I'm trying to keep this simple and relatively inexpensive. A 924S would move the price point up. I want to use a 924 and basically turn it into a turbo car using this engine. I've read that the pre 1980 5 speed was pretty durable.

Thank you for your help.

PorscheDoc 07-02-2010 01:40 PM

200 will hold up just fine unless you are doing clutch drops or hard shifting. The early transaxles were pretty weak R&P, so it definitely can't be a drag car.

The 924S made about 150hp.......now if you are thinking of using a standard 924....yea don't

josephvh 07-02-2010 02:03 PM

Thank you for your help. I was pretty much looking to use this as a project/weekend car and I'm not looking to abuse it so it should hold up.

Any particular reason to stay away from a standard 924? I value your opinion but I'm just curious as to why. I just looked for 924S' online and they are reasonably priced compaired to standards so that isn't an issue.

Again, thank you for your help.

PorscheDoc 07-03-2010 11:20 AM

The drivetrain is different enough that I think it wouldn't be a great choice. With a 924S, you can use any drivetrain parts out of pretty much any non turbo porsche 944/924S, which makes hunting for parts much easier. The regular 924 is really hard to find in regards to spare parts, etc.

josephvh 07-09-2010 02:09 PM

That is a good reason. I know I'll have more questions eventually when this project moves along. Thank you for your help.