Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

Aftermarket hood

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 01:04 AM
Default Aftermarket hood

Does anyone know a supplier for a new hood?

Mine is pretty dented/faded and I'd like to see prices on a new fiberglass hood before I price fixing mine.

Thanks

Old 04-26-2005, 02:52 AM
Default RE: Aftermarket hood

Fixing the existing hood is ususally the best option. Find a good body guy and spend a couple hundred. Its cheeper usually, and you can say you have reatined the factory unit for authenticity.

For fiberglass your looking in the $300-450 of what I have seen. Really for what you are getting out of Fiber there are other materials which would reduce weight with in a similar cost range. Kevlar weighs much less, and while not cheep can be less expensive than other sources. However i hate to say it but in the end Carbon Fiber is a great material in both weight and durability (if done correctly) AND has been rendered reasonably affordable due to its recent popularity. If you must replace the existing hood I recomend cf, however that beign the case paint that **** or you will burn in hell. Nothing screams "redneck" and "poor" like and unpainted hood.

Old 04-26-2005, 04:49 PM

Find a used hood, they are plentiful and cheap (no more than $150 usually for a very straight one). Add paint and be done with it. Fiberglass ones ALWAYS require a good bit of body work to look proper, and even then, they tend to get spiderweb cracks in the paint after about a year of being driven on the street. BTDT.

I have three 944 hoods hanging in my garage right now, if that tells you anything about how cheap they can be to acquire.

Regards,

Old 04-27-2005, 03:53 AM

ORIGINAL: sh944

Find a used hood, they are plentiful and cheap (no more than $150 usually for a very straight one).
I guess a good question to ask is "how dented is 'pretty' dented?"
Will it cost more than ~$100 to repair?

Old 04-27-2005, 04:30 PM
ZOD

I'd go for an OEM hood. I had a fiberglass hood on my 914 many years ago. Fitting it to the car was a bit tough. The first one was hopelessly warped so I returned it but the second one wasn't that much better. The hood was eventually made to fit quite well. I also installed a 916 style nose as well as a 916 style rear. The nose and rear aged well but after a year or so the paint on the hood began to show stress cracks where the latch and the hinges attached. More so around the hinges. After a while the whole hood began to show fine stress cracks. This was years ago but all of the paint was supposed to be OEM Porsche guards red. I noticed a similar problem on a friends old Corvette.

People keep asking where to buy used/new parts. I usually avoid the catalogs and go with a local source. I use these two all the time, as I've said before, they are local to me so I've been to both in person and they are HUGE. Both places will ship to anywhere.

http://www.easypor.com/
http://www.partsheaven.com/