Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums

Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/)
-   Porsche 944 (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-944-9/)
-   -   Blower and heater problem (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-944-9/blower-heater-problem-8869/)

hadakaneko 01-24-2010 12:33 AM

Blower and heater problem

Greetings

Well after another winter sitting outside (garage coming in February YAY!!!!!) another round of random electrical problems has started up. Again this year my blower motor is not working and the heater (when the blower worked) gets stuck on HOT and will flip between full Heat and cold and then back to full heat again. Now its stuck on HOT. The other little problem is that the rear wiper has now stopped.

So correct me if I'm wrong but given that the car has alot of moisture in it (even with my dehumidifier) I'm most likely experiencing some shorts where the water has gotten into the connectors and corroded them a little. So the question obviously is how do I go about tracking these problems down.

Lets start with the most important one, where would I look to fix the blower motor? The heater seems more difficult but again what should I check for. Same with the rear wiper?

Thanks a ton. And I know I have not posted recently but I truly appreciate being able to come back to this forum and know I will get some quality advice.

Cheers.....

Fast951 01-24-2010 07:37 PM

I would recommend you begin by checking the grounding on the circuits in question. Generally, if your car is rust free then gounding is not a problem, but if your car is beginning to get rusty in areas this could very well be the cause of your troubles.

PorscheDoc 01-24-2010 10:20 PM

So does the blower motor work at all? Or are you having a temperature problem? Random temp problems are usually due to the plastic clip being broken on the blend door. Quick and cheap fix. Blower motor not working at all is a different story.

hadakaneko 01-24-2010 11:52 PM

Ok, So the car is what I would call rust free. I did awhile ago clean some of the ground spots, but I may have missed one. I'll try tracking down what circuits those connect to and see if that helps.

As far as the blower goes. It was working. Last year around this time it was working intermittently. If worked fine all spring and summer, but in the last couple of weeks it has been dead. The heater or rather the "temperature problem" has been a trouble for a awhile now and does not appear to be the same issue as with the blower because the temperature problem was present at times when the blower motor was working fine.

What do you think? Where can I find that clip on the blend door? I may as well rule it out. On the blower I'm wondering if I should just remove it and test it outside of the car. Any thoughts.

Well other than more or less continual random small stuff, I still love my 944 :)

Thanks again guys....

Oh yes and I know this can make a difference.. the car is a 86, so updated blower motor.

PorscheDoc 01-25-2010 08:34 AM

The plastic clip on the blend door is down on the side by the driver's knee (assume left hand drive). There is usually a plastic cover held on by 2 or 3 screws. Remove that cover, and you should see a long metal rod and the end should be seated in a white plastic clip. If you remove the cover and the rod is just dangling there, you will need a new clip and retainer (IIRC about 3 bucks each from porsche). That should take care of the heat issue.

The blower can be due to a gummed up resistor on the blower assembly. Look for a long white plastic piece held to the housing with 2 screws. Might remove that and try cleaning it and see if that doesn't solve the blower issue.

I can take a picture of the both locations when I get home this evening.

hadakaneko 01-27-2010 02:56 AM

Ok I'll check those two things and see if it helps. If you could get me a photo that would be a very big help.

Now if it will just stop raining, be light out and have that happen when I'm not working then I'll be in good shape, lol. Where is my Garage... Anyways, I'll probably have some time this weekend and get back to you all if this worked or not.

Thanks again...

hadakaneko 01-31-2010 03:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi again

Ok, so I took a look at the car today. First of all I did find that clip broken as you were talking about. I posted a picture of it, I think that is the one. Anyways, where would I get one of those. I know several sites, but I don't have any idea what that part is even called to search for it.

Ok as for the resistor. I also sent a picture. Is that what I'm looking for? It seems OK, but I'm not really sure what to do with it. There is a bit of corrosion on it though. Anything in particular I should be looking for or testing on that? Also where would I get one of those if I choose to just replace it?

I have some other problems to figure out, but I'm going to try to get these two fixed first.

Thank you again....

PorscheDoc 01-31-2010 06:44 PM

Fix the blend door first, and just clean the connectors on the resistor for now. The clip is available from the dealer for about 6 bucks (actually it is a plastic clip, and a metal retainer clip that keeps the rod from popping out).

hadakaneko 01-31-2010 10:31 PM

Ok, I finally tracked down that part and its on its way. I'll hopefully get that in next weekend and clean the resistor and let you know how it goes.

Thanks

hadakaneko 02-08-2010 10:14 PM

Hi again

Ok, so I got the clip in and installed. However the clip on the other end of the arm has broken as well. Even so, I get nothing from any part of the heating system. No fan, no duct movement, no heat, nothing. So I am beginning to wonder if perhaps it is the AC computer or bad wiring/ connection/ fuse/ relay to blame. What do you think would be my next step in tracking this down? Is there a way to determine if the computer is still good? And where the heck do I get that other clip. I don't have a dealer anywhere nearby and get most of my parts from pelican, but they don't seems to have one of these. Do you know the part number??

Thank you so much, hopefully I can get this working again someday

Cheers...