Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums

Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/)
-   Porsche 944 (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-944-9/)
-   -   Engine Overhaul (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-944-9/engine-overhaul-9328/)

brianmusson 06-28-2010 04:55 PM

Engine Overhaul

Can somebody recommend an engine overhaul kit for a 1988 944 Turbo? I see a lot of brands for gasket kits and have heard mixed reviews from many shop owners about certain brands. If theres any more information needed, feel free to ask.

Also, is there anybody recommended for this work located in the bay area, California?

PorscheDoc 06-28-2010 06:52 PM

the victor reinze kits work just fine

For a complete overhaul you will need:
Crankcase gasket kit
Head Gasket kit
Piston ring sets x 4
Rod Bearings
Main Bearings
Balance Shaft Bearings
Waterpump
Timing and balance shaft belt
All timing/balance rollers
Front engine seal kit with spacer sleeves (the seals will double up, but you really need he sleeves and it is cheaper this way)
AC/alt belt
PS belt
Fuel injector reseal kit x 4

For the cylinder head:
Valve guides
Valve seals
Any associated cam followers that can be compressed easily need to be replaced

That should about do it. Then whatever machine work you need done to the block.

Then you all the optional sensors that probably need to be replaced if they haven't been done recently:
Reference sensors x 2
DME temp sensor
TPS
Idle Stabilizer valve (check it for leaks)

brianmusson 06-28-2010 07:33 PM

1988 Porsche 944 turbo engine rebuild questions

thank you- that is a wealth of information i haven't yielded since my search engine fit early today. I have a set of these manuals that came with the 944. They're grey binders (except the maroon "turbo" binder) with extensive documentation. I am excited that I now own one of these cars (loved it since I was a child). My end goal is to keep the car stock and keep everything original.

If you don't mind me picking at your brain a little more...

oil is leaking in several places (rear main, oil pan and somewhere around the turbo.) What gasket sealant do you recommend for this project?

What special tools will I need to complete the rebuild? Do I need to use the factory tools or can i reverse engineer some of the tooling?

kind regards,
Brian

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc (Post 25992)
the victor reinze kits work just fine

For a complete overhaul you will need:
Crankcase gasket kit
Head Gasket kit
Piston ring sets x 4
Rod Bearings
Main Bearings
Balance Shaft Bearings
Waterpump
Timing and balance shaft belt
All timing/balance rollers
Front engine seal kit with spacer sleeves (the seals will double up, but you really need he sleeves and it is cheaper this way)
AC/alt belt
PS belt
Fuel injector reseal kit x 4

For the cylinder head:
Valve guides
Valve seals
Any associated cam followers that can be compressed easily need to be replaced

That should about do it. Then whatever machine work you need done to the block.

Then you all the optional sensors that probably need to be replaced if they haven't been done recently:
Reference sensors x 2
DME temp sensor
TPS
Idle Stabilizer valve (check it for leaks)

PorscheDoc 06-28-2010 08:44 PM

Oh yea, thanks for reminding me. Your lower crank girdle and balance shaft covers are sealed with Loctite 574. Get a 50ml bottle. Other than that, the gaskets all go on dry. Biggest mistake people make on these motors is trying to use RTV sealant. Good way to ruin a motor.

As far as special tools, really all you need is the tool for removing/installing the balance shaft pulleys. Check out www.arnnworks.com for a guy who makes these tools and they are very affordable.