Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums

Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/)
-   Porsche 944 (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-944-9/)
-   -   Few Tech Questions (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-944-9/few-tech-questions-9576/)

Jackstripper01 09-23-2010 02:50 PM

Few Tech Questions

Hello everybody! My names is Logan and just a few weeks ago I bought a 84' Porshce 944. Its a beautiful car and I love it. There are just a few questions I had that I was hoping anybody on here could help me with.

First off, sometimes when i turn left, and ONLY when i turn left the car will make a sound as if there is something in the front part of the car that rubbing against something else. I checked to make sure my tires werent rubbing against the inner part of the car when the wheel is turned and it wasnt anywhere close so i have no idea what this could even be. It doesn't happen all the time, ususally if i am turning really slow it will make the noise but other than that I never hear it.

Secondly, I read somewhere that this was an issue with these models up until late 85 or 87 but sometimes the car will vibrate really bad (even with the A/C off) for a few seconds when i stop and then will suddenly stop. Is there anything i can do that will dampen the vibrations?

Then lastly, i see that there is not very much room in the hood and i was looking to put a turbo into the car so that it was a little bit faster than the later models. Is this at all possible or is it going to cost me more than an arm and a leg?

Thanks for anyhelp you guys can give and I attached a photo of the car to the post. Isn't she just beautiful?

Jackstripper01 09-23-2010 02:51 PM

So i guess that attachment didn't work? I am such a noob =/

PorscheDoc 09-23-2010 08:31 PM

1. Right front wheel bearing
2. mmm shouldn't be any vibrations
3. You will dump far more money trying to turbo your car than to just go by a 944 turbo.

Jackstripper01 09-23-2010 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc (Post 26530)
1. Right front wheel bearing
2. mmm shouldn't be any vibrations
3. You will dump far more money trying to turbo your car than to just go by a 944 turbo.

Well I forgot to add that it only vibrates when I am idling and is the right front wheel bearing costly to repair or is it something I can do myself?

PorscheDoc 09-24-2010 12:40 AM

Bearing is probably 30 bucks in parts, but you need to be able to press the race into the hub, which usually requires a press. You can do it by heating the hub in the oven and using a bearing race driver to put in the races, though if you are married/engaged/living with a significant other, you may find yourself in a bit of trouble for cooking car parts in the oven, lol.

Jackstripper01 09-25-2010 01:03 PM

Haha yeah I'm not sure that will go over well, I'll just call a shop and see how cheap I can get it done. Thank you for all the help!