Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums

Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/)
-   Porsche 944 (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-944-9/)
-   -   mass air flow (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-944-9/mass-air-flow-4964/)

tjmisch 01-12-2008 05:05 AM

mass air flow

hey guy's! back again with another topic! after replacing the air filter and box with a cone filter, i noticed that the mass air flow is very restrictive on the 944. restricting air flow and engine response. so other than the autothority systems. is there any striaght through mass air flow system's that i could get to replace my stock one? maybe from another car or any after market manufacturer?

willard3 01-12-2008 11:14 AM

RE: mass air flow

[hr]If you get an MAF, make sure to find some place to get cooler, outside the engine combustion air. The stock location for air intake is good and well thought-out.

Putting the air intake in the engine compartment where the air is hot will reduce your power.
[align=left] [/align]

PorscheDoc 01-12-2008 07:31 PM

Yup, by adding a cone filter, you are now sucking in hot air into the intake from the engine bay, and are losing hp.

If you have a turbo, and want to upgrade to a MAF, contact John at Vitesse Racing. Autothority's stuff is outdated and old technology already. Over in the headlight bucket where the maf will sit, it will still suck in hot air much more than the stock airbox, though your hp gains are big enough that you are still making more hp over stock (I have found my maf to lose a good solid 15hp after about the 4th run due to the maf sucking hot air....with a stock AFM and airbox, this does not happen on the dyno). There are a couple solutions to this, such as creating a heat shield that blocks the headlight bucket off from the rest of the engine bay, and ducting cool air up to the headlight bucket. Since I don't run AC or the horns or any foolish stuff like that, I run flexible hose from the front of the bumper up through the bottom of the headlight bucket to feed my maf cold air. This has helped alot, but I will be building a heat shield as soon as I can find some spare time laying around.

tjmisch 01-13-2008 09:20 AM

okey first of all, where do i get a MAF and is there any particular car that i could just get it from? because right now that im moving and heading of for college i really dont have the money to spend. and it suck's having a porsche that a damn civic would just rev on and not having anything to do about it.i actually spent half of my saturday driving around in my turbo 300zx looking for that civic that reved at me when i was driving my 944. what he did that pissed me off really bad was he burnt rubber right next to me when my windows are open and spit on my door! if only my 944 could have kept up so i could have given himsome ass whoopin i would. but nope! that is why for now im driving either my turbo or twin turbo Z's and allways be on the look out for that stupid civic that was trieng to look like a nissan skyline ( which i think is idiotic when it's a honda trieng to look like a nissan skyline)

PorscheDoc 01-13-2008 09:36 AM

Ok, so you don't have a turbo car. The only maf kit out there that I know of for the NA is the promax kit. It runs about $1000 with chips IIRC, and the power gains are minimal. No matter what you do to an non-turbo car, you aren't going to get much power out of it. Sad truth is, most minivans are going to be an 8v 944 off the line and down the straight. The 944 is a cornering car, not a straightline car. Lol, you can't just grab a MAF off another car and plug it into the stock AFM system, it isn't that plug and play. That is why there are vendors out there that have developed the converters, etc required for the electrical system.

tjmisch 01-13-2008 07:06 PM

true.... sad but true.... well before i actually make any desicions whether or which to sell or not to sell my NA and even more than that to get a 951, i want to know the relaibility issue's of and gas effiecency of an 8v turbo. would it be a reliable daily driver to go back and forth to school and work putting at least 40-50 miles on it a day? because i love the handling of this car and is really a good car, though i hear about 90% of the crowd i am in that the 944 is not an ideal car to own even the turbo or the turbo s. that they would rather have me keep my starion esi-r and sell the 944. but i am thinking the opposite, sell the starion and fix the 944. though i know the starion has a lot more potential than the 944 for it being a 2.6 turbo intercooled. but as far as performance and going fast i already have my z's. now i need a nice reliable daily driver that would give me at least decent amount of miles per gallon and at the same time be different and set myself apart from the honda what not crowd. so is the 944 actually a good or bad for this purpose? well i want to hear it from you guys since you guys know the potential of these cars and the ups and downs of it. not just from people saying it's a bad car and not even knowing what engine it has. this guy's said it's an inline 6! and they tell me its the worst car to have? like c'mon how can they tell me that if they dont even know anything about the car.

PorscheDoc 01-13-2008 07:54 PM

I don't recommend buying a 944 to anyone who does not have a second vehicle. They are reliable if they have been maintained properly, but the sad truth is that 95% of them have been neglected. If it breaks down, you will be out of a car for a few days, as parts usually have to come from somewhere off the internet. Keep the reliable car, get through school and get a good job, then once you can afford to have a toy, then buy a 944T.

tjmisch 01-15-2008 04:20 AM

well thanks a lot for the info. but unfortunately i have to stick to the 944 and make do with what i have right now because. i found out that i would have to spend a lot just to get the starion running that legal that is why i put it out for sale allready. and as for my Z. the only one left out of 3 is not really smog legal. and for me to make it smog legal i would have to take the stage 3 turbo's out and all the modifications in it which basically mean tear the whole car apart. so 944? what do i need to whatch out for? which parts needs to be replaced more often and checked other than the basic oil changes and stuff? to keep this running the best it can possible?