Notices
Porsche 944 The Porsche 944 and 944 Turbo was a huge success for Porsche throughout the 1980s.

New Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 11:08 AM
Default New Porsche

As luck would have it, some problems with my 944 were accompanied by a gift of a 944 from another party. The gift car has not been running in many years. The body, especially for having been sitting so long, in good condition, however the headlights have some trouble raising and the paint is not good.

Just for curiosity's sake, what would posters out there do?

I will have lots of time coming this summer, (semester ends in mid may.) The other Porsche has some body damage and a number of little problems that need tending to.

Rebuild the gift 944? Use parts from the gift 944 to have the other 944 road-worthy again?
Or anything else? Suggestions are wonderful.

The gift 944 is an 86 944 (NA) and has a champaigne body on a black interior. The other 944 is an 87 (NA) and has a silver body on a brown/red/maroon interior.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:30 AM
Default RE: New Porsche

An interesting dilemma. I had the same problem in 1982 with 2 Aston Martin V8s.
I assume you dont want to get them both up to standard, and you must go for one?
1) My priority always started with the Bodyshell, which has the most life in it and needs least work. Rebuilding bodyshells can eat into money and usually needs other peoples paid involvement. Paint is not the main consideration in the equation, as I presume that you will want a "new" paint job anyway
2) Which car has the best engine and other major mechanicals. Does the gift car run for you to assess that? Bear in mind once youve selected the Bodyshell you can "cherry pick" the best mechanicals.
3) Which car has the best interior trim that can be brought to a high standard?
4) Are there any features that you particularly want that one shell has? Ie Sunroof etc
Once you have worked through these questions, you will on your way to a descision.
Good luck.
Regards Big Bob

Old 04-13-2008, 04:21 PM

Thanks for the response Big Bob.

The body shell of the 'gift 944' is in better condition. The other 944 has a rebuilt cylinder head, recently done with very few miles on it, new timing belt, new balance shaft belt, new gaskets. However, it has some collision damage and the frame may be off.
I prefer the color of the interior of the gift 944 and it's interior is in much better condition. The gift car does not run, and has not for several years and will likely need brake work, fuel system work, and such. However, everything needed on the gift 944 would be available on the other 944.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:58 PM

I vote for making 2 944's...
Do one up proper with the best parts from both, then the other one maybe make a track car, or do something fun like an LS1 swap.
I suppose it's never a bad idea to keep a parts car...but if you're feeling extra generous (or sadistic depending on how much of the car is left) you could gift it to someone else.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:28 PM

Yeah, I've thought about making two and gifting the second. I've been thinking about giving one to my brother. (I'd have to teach him stick first[8D])

He is getting ready to go to school in Ohio, (Kent State) and won't be allowed to have a car, so I don't know how my dad would feel about having a car just sitting there racking up insurance bills. However, I feel like it would be a nice thing to do, as he is going into the Army after college (just finished basic and is about to finish AIT later this month) and it would be a nice gift for him.