Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums

Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/)
-   Porsche 944 (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-944-9/)
-   -   A new, Porsche 944, owner here (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-944-9/new-porsche-944-owner-here-3186/)

Krass 04-09-2007 12:11 PM

A new, Porsche 944, owner here

Hello everyone,
I week ago I bought a ' 85 - Porsche 944 - it has always been a dream of mine to own a Porsche and I can't be happier now :)
It seams to me that you guys know your stuff and I would like to get your opinions about the car - now and in the future ! Before I registered at this Forum, I checked all of the other "big" forums, but this one seams to contain the best info. So here I am.

The car has about 173 000 ml, I am the third owner, and have all of the record for the jobs done on the car. I got it for $ 1000 with a front engine seal leak and leaking radiator.
I spend immediately $ 1300 more for :
new radiator, new front crankshaft seal, new counter-shaft front seal,
new water pump, timing belt, counter-shaft belt and all rollers involved with belts including tensioners,
oil change ( synthetic Mobil 10W30).

Total, the car costs me $ 2300. It rides like a dream now, very stable on the road, great power for 4 cylinder's engine.
The clutch is smooth and no shakes or oil leaks, doesn't burn any oil yet.

What do you think ?!
I would appreciate any ideas and opinions !

Thank you so much!

PorscheDoc 04-09-2007 09:57 PM

RE: A new, Porsche 944, owner here

Congrats, sounds like a good deal! Enjoy :)

kinderrich 04-09-2007 10:02 PM

You got a real good deal on a great car. I have about 250K on my 85 and I drive it every day, gotta love that. Welcome and keep in touch!

Krass 04-09-2007 11:35 PM

Thank you guys, for your welcomeand nice words about the car !
It's great to know that thereis Porsches still running strong on so many miles. That was one of the biggest concerns I had - that the car has 173 000 ml, but now I feel better :)
I drive only Hondas and know from experience that if you take good care, they can run above 200 000 without problems ( I sold my first Honda on 240 000 ml and it was still a great car ), but wasn't sure about Porsche.

Could you please, give me any suggestions what oil should I use andhow oftenshould I change it ?! I was thinking about synthetic Castrol - 15W50 , change every 5 000 ml !!!
Also, for the fuel system cleaner I got Chevron Techron - is that good or there is something better ?!

Thank you again !

PS: PorscheDoc, your car looks amazing !

PorscheDoc 04-10-2007 09:47 AM

20w50 castrol is the oil you want to use. Also only use Porsche OEM or Mahle oil filters.

Krass 04-10-2007 01:19 PM

Thank you, Doc ! The guy who did the job on my carused Mahle filter.
How often should I change the synthetic oil - 5K ?!
Anything else I should know about very basic maintenance for the Porsche ?!

Krass 04-12-2007 08:35 PM

Guys, Porsche 944 is a f.... awesome car ! Every morning I am waking up a happy man - just the thought that I am going to drive it, makes my day :)
Please, adviseabout spark plugs andwires ?! How often shouldI do the oil change and about gas octane ( I am always using the highest possible ) ?!

kinderrich 04-14-2007 07:41 PM

If you have a stock chip in your DME controller, which sense its an 85/1 or 85/2 could go either way. If its an 85/1 likely you have the stock chip. I run 87 octane with no knocs or problems. Runs just as fast as 93 but costs a whole lot less. I do my oil at 3K, about every 3 months for my DD.

Krass 04-15-2007 12:00 PM

Thank you !
Mine is 85/1 .
What is DD ?!

kinderrich 04-15-2007 08:37 PM

Daily driver

Krass 04-15-2007 11:10 PM

Oh :) Thanks.
I don't know about the octane though - I feel a difference between the lower and higher on my Civics. The cars run smoother and actuallyI get more miles whenI use higher octane. I will keep using the highest on the Porsche too.
Could you please, give me some advise for wires and spark plugs - shouldI get those from the Porsche dealership or where else ?!
Have you had any major repairs on you '85 during the 250K ?! Are you taking care of the car your self or someone else is working on it ?!
Thanks kinderrich, for your help !!!

kinderrich 04-17-2007 08:10 PM

I have 8mm wires from Lindsey racing and standard bosche plugs. Dont have any ignition problems. The car was hit at 99k and the transmission was changed out, other than that it looks like only normal things, Brakes, clutch, CV joints. I did change the engine out at 225K for an 87 2.5 that was just rebuilt, saved me some money on replacing belts and water pump and bearings, also the oil pressure was getting a bit lowand I got a great deal on it. I do all the maint now. But mostly just oil changes for the last year or so.