Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums

Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/)
-   Porsche 944 (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-944-9/)
-   -   oil in the intake (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-944-9/oil-intake-8750/)

hairless ape 12-13-2009 12:47 AM

oil in the intake

Hi all.
I was cleaning out the air filter and noticed that there was oil inside the rubber intake boot. I took it off to clean it and found it had oil all the way into the airflow meter and past. It seems to be coming from the tube that hooks to the boot from the oil add spout. I also noticed with this all removed that I have oil on the side of my engine all over by the same place on that side of the motor. Does anyone have any advice to fix this or should I take it to a shop. Also, dose anyone know what a shop would normaly charge to replace all of my belts up in the front. I just got the car and it runs good except it idles funny and it surges a bit when driving at a continuas speed. I am prety handy at working on my vehicals but never had a porsche before. Any help would be great. Thanks.

willard3 12-13-2009 07:03 AM

Is this a turbo or an n/a car?

PorscheDoc 12-13-2009 10:59 AM

Sounds like your motor has a lot of excessive oil blow by unfortunately.

If you have oil on the driver's side of the motor, more than likely the rear balance shaft cap oring has shrunk and is leaking. You can do a quick fix with some copper rtv on the outside of the round cap to seal it off, or pull the upper balance shaft housing and replace the oring and reseal the housing with loctite 574. Also, the oil seperator (oil fill tube) has 2 o rings on it as well that should be replaced if you have the intake manifold off.

edit: If the oil is on top of the balance shaft housing, then it will need to be pulled and resealed. If it is back on the side of the block near the oil fill tube, then replace/seal the orings.

hairless ape 12-13-2009 01:34 PM

Thanks for the reply. Is having oil blow by a thing that can be fixed? Is my motor going to fail? The oil is on the side of the block near the oil tube so I will replace those seals and orings. Do you think that the oil blow by is the cause of the surging? By the way. This is a 1986 944 na with a broken odometer that still reads 160000 miles. Thanks.
Brad

PorscheDoc 12-14-2009 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by hairless ape (Post 24686)
Thanks for the reply. Is having oil blow by a thing that can be fixed? Is my motor going to fail? The oil is on the side of the block near the oil tube so I will replace those seals and orings. Do you think that the oil blow by is the cause of the surging? By the way. This is a 1986 944 na with a broken odometer that still reads 160000 miles. Thanks.
Brad

Will the motor fail? Probably not catastrophically. More than likely the rings are starting to show some wear and causing the blow by.

hairless ape 12-15-2009 10:49 PM

Thanks porsche doc. Your help is appriciated much.
brad