Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums

Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/)
-   Porsche Boxster (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-boxster-11/)
-   -   '05 BMW 330 Cic -vs- '05 Boxter (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-boxster-11/05-bmw-330-cic-vs-05-boxter-822/)

romchik 06-10-2005 05:08 PM

'05 BMW 330 Cic -vs- '05 Boxter

Please help. I am torn between making a decision on buying a 2005 BMW 330Cic vs the New Boxter. They're both really fun and well engineered cars, yet quiet different. The BMW has less power, but more space and versatility...and much more comprehensive warranty and full maintenance package to 100,000miles. The Boxter on the other hand is much faster, handles like a dream, but is very small and the warranty is very limited. The lack of full maintenance makes me cautious b/c I don't know how reliable Boxters are and I really don't want to spend a lot of $$$ on maintenance and any problems associated with the car.

Please help...all feedback is really valuable to me from existing owners.
Thanks

PorscheDoc 06-11-2005 01:20 AM

RE: '05 BMW 330 Cic -vs- '05 Boxter

Boxsters are well built and reliable, the motor can take quite a bit of abuse. We are currently prototyping a supercharger kit for the boxster, and our test mule is holding up great without any issues, and the vehicle had 77k on it before we started messing with it. You can buy ANY car and end up dropping lots of money into a car that ends up having issues, no matter the model. Buy what you feel is right for you, and that you like to drive/fits your lifestyle, etc. Both are nice cars. I personally am not a huge fan of the boxster, not from a reliabilty standpoint, I think a big part of it is I am not crazy about having an engine sitting less than a foot behind me, too loud for me.

MBS Auto Parts 07-22-2005 04:16 AM

I gree with PorscheDoc.... Performance wise, drivavilty and reliabilty I would go with the Bimmer...

speedyellow 07-24-2005 11:04 PM

Test drove and did substantial research on different models before making a choice. Go with the boxster, I call it my personal grin maker.

Gears 07-27-2005 07:53 PM

Hi,
I own a 2001 Boxster S and I also owned a BMW 330 ci. First you have to know that these are not my only cars (I won a '06 CLS500) and therefore considerations such as how many seats and trunkspace don't really matter to me.

If it's a second car or just a toy, I DEFINATELY go with the Boxster. (Make the a Boxster S). Much sportier and much more fun. If it's your only car I would have to decide for the BMW 330ci. Main reason besides space is comfort. Toying around locally , no problem in the Boxster and lots of fun. However, I wouldn't take long trips. Don't get me wrong, space and seating in the Boxster are great, but it is a pure sportscar, not a cruiser.

Well, now you got my $ 0.02.

Good Luck

webnuts4u2 09-07-2005 04:00 PM

I just bought a new Boxster (after test driving the BMW 325 and Z4, Acura TL, Lexus IS300 and 350Z). I wanted something that was really fun to drive, a convertible and I didn't care about 4 seats (2 of which in the BMW 330 are ok for kids, not adults if the front passengers are tall).

944turboS 09-20-2005 11:58 PM

i would def take the BMW over the boxter

CTiggerPigglet 09-22-2005 08:02 AM

ORIGINAL: Gears

Hi,
I own a 2001 Boxster S and I also owned a BMW 330 ci. First you have to know that these are not my only cars (I won a '06 CLS500) and therefore considerations such as how many seats and trunkspace don't really matter to me.

If it's a second car or just a toy, I DEFINATELY go with the Boxster. (Make the a Boxster S). Much sportier and much more fun. If it's your only car I would have to decide for the BMW 330ci. Main reason besides space is comfort. Toying around locally , no problem in the Boxster and lots of fun. However, I wouldn't take long trips. Don't get me wrong, space and seating in the Boxster are great, but it is a pure sportscar, not a cruiser.

Well, now you got my $ 0.02.

Good Luck
I agree with Gears, It all depends on what you want from a car. Also, no one has mentioned depreciation! When you come to sell the car on I would say the Boxster will hold its value better.[sm=hiya.gif] $$$$$$$$$$$$$

mdreb 10-21-2005 07:24 PM

Boxster all the way! BMW 3 series are dime a dozen, still a nice car though.

Fizzle Da FlapJack 04-02-2006 05:45 PM

I agree, for the only car BMW is better choice, but If you already have a primary car, than buy a boxster.