Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums

Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/)
-   Porsche Boxster (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-boxster-11/)
-   -   Boxster Questions (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-boxster-11/boxster-questions-8540/)

customsbroker 10-02-2009 09:41 AM

Boxster Questions

Hey all. My name is Jarred and I am new to this site. I am from Montreal Canada.

I have a couple of questions about the boxster.

I am thining about buying my first Porsche. 2000 Boxster.

the car seems to be in great shape. runs well. brand new tires. 73000miles.

Just wondering a few things.

1 - what should I be looking for on a car of this age and miliage to go wrong?

2 - how easy is it to get daytime running light on the car (I live in Canada and it is the law to have daytime running lights on all cars) is this a modification that can be done at home?

3 - this is a US car as such everything is in MP/H. i dont want to change the whole dash. is it possible to reprogram the computer to read the speed in KM/H in the digital part of the dash, not the analog.

Im sure I will think of more questions later but this would really help me out!

Thanks alot guys!!

-J

PorscheDoc 10-02-2009 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by customsbroker (Post 24169)
Hey all. My name is Jarred and I am new to this site. I am from Montreal Canada.

I have a couple of questions about the boxster.

I am thining about buying my first Porsche. 2000 Boxster.

the car seems to be in great shape. runs well. brand new tires. 73000miles.

Just wondering a few things.

1 - what should I be looking for on a car of this age and miliage to go wrong?

2 - how easy is it to get daytime running light on the car (I live in Canada and it is the law to have daytime running lights on all cars) is this a modification that can be done at home?

3 - this is a US car as such everything is in MP/H. i dont want to change the whole dash. is it possible to reprogram the computer to read the speed in KM/H in the digital part of the dash, not the analog.

Im sure I will think of more questions later but this would really help me out!

Thanks alot guys!!

-J

Well, typically the boxsters are great running little cars. You will have to do some things like wheel bearings and other typical maintenance, but in general, they don't need much more than gas and oil. With that being said, you are buying a Porsche out of warranty, so can you afford to replace a motor if the intermediate shaft fails? While the occurrences of the problem are rare, it is considered a catastrophic engine failure. The early cars also have convertible top failure problems that could be very expensive. Again, rare, but when it does happen, requires upgrading to the new beefier parts which is a couple grand. Buying a used boxster or 996 is like rolling the dice, most likely you will get lucky and never have any major issues with the car, but there is that slight chance........

Is the rear main seal leaking at all? Has it had a new clutch yet? If not, expect to be doing that in the next couple of years depending on how much you drive it.

Not sure on the daytime running lights, but I can't imagine it would be too difficult.

With the PST2 or PIWIS, the dealer (or independent shop if they have one) can change your digital display to KM/H

customsbroker 10-03-2009 02:30 PM

As far as I know the car is in great shape. The owner has never had any problems. No repairs to be done and I believe it is on the original clutch. How much do new clutchs / typical hugher milage repairs cost?

Thanks