Notices
Porsche Boxster Porsche's smallest and least expensive sports car model,the Boxster is a convertible sports car released in late 1996.

Boxster radio code?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 10:24 PM
Default Boxster radio code?

Just changed my battery in my 2000 Boxster. Radio is asking me for the 4 digit code for the radio to function. Where do I get such a code?

Old 04-18-2008, 12:03 AM
Default Boxster radio code information

Batteries
http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/batteries

Radio Codes
http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/mikesporscheboxsterwebpages

What and Why?

The Radio Code is a 4-digit code provided by the Radio Manufacturer (Becker makes the radios for Porsche) without which the radio does not function. It was used to provide some assurance that a thief will have trouble using/selling the radio if he doesn't have the code. It was used on '97 thru '03 Boxsters. Later Boxsters don't require the code and use different radios.The code is required any time the battery is disconnected for a significant time such as for service, a discharged battery, or a battery replacement.
The dealer is supposed to have delivered a credit-card sized plastic card with the Radio Code to the original owner. Look in the leather binder you got with the car. (Of course it shouldn't be stored there because the thief might look for it there.)
What if you don't have the card?

The code is often written inside the front trunk lid on the build sticker or on the build sticker that is inside the maintenance manual by a mechanic who is disconnecting the radio.

And if it isn't there?

The dealer can get the code for you if you provide the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and the serial number of the radio.Post the serial number of the radio on renntech and there is a kind gent who can get you the code.
How do I get the serial number?

For a Becker CDR220 (the most common Boxster radio, the one with a CD player inside the detachable front plate) you can turn the radio on with the power button, then press the TP button until Becker 1 appears on the LCD. Then use the right-hand **** to turn to the selection for "Seri:" which is followed by the serial number of the Becker CD unit.The serial number is also on a sticker on the rear of the radio but you have to pull the radio to get at it. You need Radio pulling forks from Becker to do this. Any car radio shop or the dealer can do this for $$$. But why bother.

Good luck

Also,
you might want to read more about your Boxster here: http://boxster.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
Try doing a google search for more information.

Old 09-21-2017, 12:08 PM

yes, on the 2003 there is no code required!!

Old 01-09-2020, 06:52 PM
Default Code Wont Work - Any Ideas?

I'm the original owner of my Boxster (2000), and it has the original radio in it. I have the original code card that came from Porsche that has the serial number and the code number on it.

I've use that card in the past several times and so has a dealership to input he code on my radio and get it working again after the battery has been removed. Was no biggie. This time, for some reason, I put the code in and it doesn't work.

I tried it several times. Tried just typing in the code and nothing more (as the dealership suggests) and tried typing in the code and pushing the right scan button (as this forum suggests in another post on radio issues). Nothing works. I get three attempts and then I'm cycling through the different wait Cycles. I think the first few were the 10 minutes and now I'm in the fun 60 minute wait cycles.

I put the 4 digit code in and then it just goes back to the word CODE + 4 Asterisks. It does nothing more. Doesn't turn the radio on and doesn't give you anything else. After three tries it just put you in wait.

I asked the dealership if they somehow reset my code the last time they turned it on, and they claimed they didn't. They searched in their system and came up with the exact same code number for my vehicle as the card that I have that came at original purchase. So the code should be the correct.

The dealership (admittedly the worst one I've EVER been to in ABQ) doesn't know what to do either.

Anyone had this happen before and know how to fix it?

Do you get to a point in these wait cycles that you'll ultimately get the radio 100% locked? Or do you just perpetually stay in the annoying wait loops?

Is it even possible to reset a code on one of these? Like if somebody has done that and the dealership just didn't make notes? I hate the thought of trying to try 9999 different code combinations and waiting an hour between each one...

thx for any tips/advice!

I love this car! Best car I've ever owned hands down! Mine has less than 60,000 miles on it still.

Old 05-28-2021, 12:06 PM
Default Code for Porsche cdr220

Just changed my Porsche CDR 220 in my Car. Radio is asking me for the 4 digit code for the radio to function. Where do I get such a code?[/QUOTE].