Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums

Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/)
-   Porsche Boxster (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-boxster-11/)
-   -   Check Engine Light (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-boxster-11/check-engine-light-4834/)

lvtobike 12-13-2007 10:49 AM

Check Engine Light

HELP!!!
I have a 2001 BoxsterS....Check engine light just came on.
Light came on soon after fueling. Cap is correctly installed.
44960miles, It is an everyday driver, Have noticed in the past few weeks that the exhaust has gotten a richer deeper sound (Connection?).
Oil ok, coolant ok, idle ok, performance appears the same.
Is there a "common" reason for the light to come on? Is it safe to drive?
Please help! I haven't put it on the computer yet........nearest dealer is over 100 miles away.
Thanks.Denny

dedes 12-13-2007 11:12 AM

RE: Check Engine Light

If CELis blinking I wouldnot drive the car. Contact the dealer asap. If the light is flashing you should not run the car (it will damage the catalytic converters).

If CEL is not blinking (ok to drive) you just need to get the code to find out what is wrong asap.
You can contact Autozone http://www.autozone.com/store_locator/home.htm, they will read the code for free. I believe someone here will be able to read the code if you have the numbers. Probably a dirty or badsensor.

Good luck

lvtobike 12-13-2007 11:39 AM

Thanks, I will go to the Zone
Light is not blinking
Denny

lvtobike 12-17-2007 09:39 AM

I'm safe I think!! The light went out after about 45 miles and hasn't come back on. Must have been a loose gas cap. (I hope)! Thanks for the replies.
Denny

dedes 12-17-2007 12:33 PM

No problem
I am sure it was a loose gas cap. Everything is so sensitive on the Porsche.

My CEL lightwas on too this week andI know why. I opened my coolant cap and didn't tighten it very well after filling the tank withsome coolant liquid. Also, I am watching the tank for leaks right now. I was in Lake Tahoe recently for the Boxsterfest in October and with the high elevation, etc, my coolant expanded & spilled out on the ground when I arrived at the hotel. CEL was on, filled it with some distilled water and the CEL light went out (reset itself after awhile). So I have a new coolant tank that I will be replacing maybe. I am watching the fluid level, checkinglevels when the car is warm/cold to get an accurate reading. Coolant level tends to go down just a bit after a few weeks.

The system works under pressure, so ifI had a cracked tank allmy coolant would leak out big-time.
Imay just have a loose hose clamp or maybe nothing at all.[/align]Coolant levels constantly change depending on temperature and/or altitude.[/align][/align]A whole another story.

dedes 12-17-2007 04:26 PM

More info on Resetting the Check Engine Light

Just wanted to give you some info regarding resetting CEL light.

CEL reset:[/align]is disconnecting the negative battery lead for more than 30 second but less than 50.[/align]That way you don't loose the radio memory. Disconnecting longer than 50 will require radio CODE and less than 30 usually doesn't reset the CEL.[/align][/align]Disconnecting the battery will clear the CEL, but if the problem that triggered it hasn't been solved, it will come back on. [/align][/align]You can get a CEL by just leaving your gas cap loose (like you did), same thing for the oil cap. The computer reads many engine parameters and will give you the CEL warning.[/align]Reading the code should then point you in the right direction to solve the issue.[/align][/align]The problem is though, that the codes are not very clear and it may take some research to really pin point the actual problem.[/align][/align]For instance,a friend of mine had a CEL for three years now.He knows it's a vacuum issue, buthe just can't find it.He isnot worried though.:) He does many DIY on his porsches. [/align][/align][/align]
[/align]

tinchao 12-19-2007 03:12 AM

RE: More info on Resetting the Check Engine Light

Hi dedes,
What is CEl stand for? Thanks.

dedes 12-19-2007 10:38 AM

RE: More info on Resetting the Check Engine Light

ORIGINAL: tinchao

Hi dedes,
What is CEl stand for? Thanks.

Hello tinchao
How are you in Hawaii?