Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums

Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/)
-   Porsche Boxster (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-boxster-11/)
-   -   Concern about access to engine for service (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-boxster-11/concern-about-access-engine-service-1028/)

KNicholas2 08-31-2005 01:16 PM

Concern about access to engine for service

I am seriously considering buying a 2005 or 2006 Boxter. (Imagine my surprise when my wife fell in love with one during the test drive!) However, I am concerned about the serviceability of the engine and transmission. There is no access to the engine from the top, only from below. THis requires specialized equipment and presumably higher cost.

What have been the experiences of Boxter owners? I this a "non-issue" or does difficult engine access create a problem and significantly higher costs? I asked the dealer for an expected cost of even simple service such as oil change, tune up, etc. and I could not get a straight answer.

I fully realize that Porsche ownership comes with a price. I just want to be better educated.

Thank you!

Dr. Kim Nicholas

PorscheDoc 08-31-2005 01:44 PM

RE: Concern about access to engine for service

lol, there is access to the engine from above, you can move the top halfway open, then unsnap the rear and hold it up. Underneath there is a carpet panel and a metal panel that come loose with 6 quick turn pins.....and poof you have full access to the top of the engine. Much more access to the top of the motor than a 996, 997, etc.

Dr. Karl Wilen

PorscheDoc 08-31-2005 01:50 PM

Here is a shot of the top of the motor with the panels removed (takes less than 2 minutes to have access to the engine. Ignore the supercharger piping, the car isn't stock. They take up a lot of space that normally is free.

http://karl.wilen.us/images/BoxsterTop.JPG

KNicholas2 08-31-2005 02:00 PM

Gee, don't I feel silly. It is obvious that I have not (yet) crawled around in the guts of the Boxter. I was just lamening what the dealer told. The engine compartment does look cramped adn difficult for teh weekend mechanic, but anymore they ALL do. Thank you for your advice and information.

Kim Nicholas

PorscheDoc 08-31-2005 03:35 PM

They aren't horrible to work on, you can do plugs, injectors, belts, intake stuff, all the routine maintenance easily. Like a lot of porsche's though, anything too in depth in the engine will require an engine drop.

jabrams 12-24-2005 12:46 PM

as for pricing on simple work, I was quoted 180.00 for an oil change and nearly 1000.00 for the 30k mile check up.

Lee Willis 12-24-2005 02:07 PM

Well, don't take it to a dealer. Take it to a local independent shop with a good reputation (I KNOW PorscheDoc will agree with me on this). You will save money, get as good quality, and meet with eople who will spend a bit more time talking to you and BS you a lot less.

But remember, these cars DO require good, conscientious mantenance, so don't skip it altogether.

PorscheDoc 12-26-2005 09:24 PM

Pricing on oil changes will greatly depend on where you go. We use to charge 105 bucks for mobil one service, oil/filter, etc. Our local porsche dealer charges $59.95 for the same. We can't hardly buy the oil and filter for that, so we had to drop our prices to 79.95 to try and compete. I have heard people paying up to $250 for an oil change. Guess it just depends on where you are at. And an oil change on a boxster is very easy to do yourself, and takes minutes. 1k for the 30k checkup is probably a little high. I can't remember off the top of my head what all is invovled (out of town for the holidays), but even if it is spark plugs that is probably a little bit high. Again, there is nothing on the 30k mile service that a guy with any experience working on cars can't handle himself.

not_stolen 06-26-2006 02:33 AM

question for porschedoc where abouts it ur porsche dealer located???