Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums

Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/)
-   Porsche Boxster (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-boxster-11/)
-   -   Easy performance upgrade on 2001 Boxster S, Which Exhaust upgrade is Best? (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-boxster-11/easy-performance-upgrade-2001-boxster-s-exhaust-upgrade-best-941/)

Gears 07-27-2005 07:45 PM

Easy performance upgrade on 2001 Boxster S, Which Exhaust upgrade is Best?

Everyone:
Since I got my first Boxster S 2 yeasrs ago I am researching for simple but effective performance upgrades. No, I am not talking about supercharging, turbo chargin or installing a 3.6 engine. Just easier and affordable things. At first I had my doubts if it is worth the money. Here are the simple mods I made on my now second Boxster S (dealership wrecked my 1st one.and YES it was worth it.

EVO Hi-Flo Intake w. K&N Cone Filter
Powerchip Gold93 Chiptuning
17mm spacers rear
Short throw shifter
Aerokit I (was already installaed when I bought the car.)

I am planning to add a sport exhaust system. Anyone have any experience or recommendation which one is most suited?

The following are some performance data. It's real and YES it's a really fast Boxster S.

My original 2001 Boxster S:
250 HP, 0-60mph in 5.8 sec , 14.3 sec for ¼ mile

After installing Hi-Flo Intake System
258 HP, 0-60mph in 5.6 sec, 14.0 sec for ¼ mile

After installing Powerchip modified CPU
277 HP, 0-60mph in 5.2 sec, 13.46 sec for ¼ mile

PorscheDoc 07-28-2005 12:34 AM

RE: Easy performance upgrade on 2001 Boxster S, Which Exhaust upgrade is Best?

You definetly made the right choice with the evo intake and the short throw shifter. Not really familiar with the powerchip tuning, we do GIAC flashloading in house, but the gains look good. I recently installed an evo intake, GIAC flash, and a Dansk exhaust and it sounded great, and really pulled good (2001 boxster S). If you want, give stephen kaspar at imagine auto a call and talk to him, he can steer you in the right direction. The number is on our website www.imagineauto.com We do a lot with fabspeed, B&B, and GHL, but off the top of my head i can't remember what those sounded like. What type of dyno did you use to confirm your numbers?

Gears 07-28-2005 12:48 AM

Hi,
Great. Thanks for the answer. By the way, GIAC was my other choice and actually the one I first intented to choose and than I found out about Powerchip. My local Porsche dealer is using them as well. But I don't think there are great differences. They are boths top notch chip tuners (not the low cost electronic butcher type). In the end it's a matter of which ones mapping you'd like better I guess.

I will definately get in touch with stephen kaspar.

A friend of mine who is working for a local tuning shop put it on the dyno there. I didn't pay attention but will find out what it is. The times had been taken here locally at Joliet race track in IL. I did 8 runs myself and I achieved the stated best times at 2 out of the 8. (However incidently the best 0-60 times didn't give me the best 1/4 mile. Don't know why. Probably the way I shifted through the gears.)
Outside temperature was a perfect 72 and there was no wind. Ideal conditions.

HOWEVER, I just had a new clutch and flywheel installed and I SHOULD HAVE chosen a high performance clutch. I di NOT RECOMMEND to try best track runs to often with the OEM clutch. It'll burn up if you go for best performance.

Can't wait discussing the exhaust systems.

Thanks again

StealthAuto 06-18-2006 07:01 PM

I would suggest Powerchip as they have done extensive testing on Porsches. Also, they had a Boxster as a shop car for quite some time.

Just my 2 cents. :)