Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums

Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/)
-   Porsche Boxster (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-boxster-11/)
-   -   electrical problems (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-boxster-11/electrical-problems-1891/)

BOBTHEBUILDER 06-29-2006 04:19 PM

electrical problems

I seem to have made my first post in the wrong category so here goes again. (wish I knew how to just move the message)
I am in need of an electrical schematic for a 98 boxster. Windows go down when I hit a bump, and won't go back up unless I open and close the latch for the top. LED light stays on saying the top is not locked even if it is. Just recently, the air bag light is steady on. Now I am worried about driving the car in case the bag should pop.
This car is in excellent condition otherwise and has very low mileage. The electric just seems to have went to hell all of a sudden.Any suggestions about this problem would sure be appreciated, also info where to get a schematic would sure help, sincerely, bob

spooey 07-13-2006 08:28 PM

RE: electrical problems

Oh my God! I have the EXACT IDENTICAL problem! The windows will roll 1/4 way down (an major inconvenience during rainy weather), and it will not go back up unless I either push on the Convertible top's mechanism, or engage it as if I was going to open it. My Convertible top warning light is also always on. I've let it go for more than a year now, fearing a costly electrical diagnosis and repair. Would appreciate any help!!!

Regards,

Cliff

BOBTHEBUILDER 07-13-2006 09:52 PM

hI SPOOEY= SORRY ABOUT YOUR SIMILAR PROBLEM. I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN ABOUT THE COST. I SAVED FOR 10 YEARS TO BUY A PORSCHE BUT NOW I THINK I MAY HAVE MADE A MISTAKE AS I CAN'T AFFORD TO HAVE IT REPAIRED. I THINK IF I COULD FIND AN ELECTRICAL SCHEMATIC I MIGHT BE ABLE TO FIND THE PROBLEM. IF I FIGURE IT OUT I WILL GLADLY PASS ON THE INFO, BOB

PorscheDoc 07-13-2006 10:26 PM

Replace your microswitch in the main convertible top handle. That should take care of it.

BOBTHEBUILDER 07-14-2006 11:27 AM

THANKS A MILLION DOC- SURE DO APPRECIATE THE INFO. IF IT'S NOT TOO MUCH TROUBLE FOR YOU COULD YOU TELL ME WHERE TO LOOK FOR THE SWITCH?
SINCERELY. BOB

PorscheDoc 07-14-2006 12:58 PM

If you release the top latch, the switch is located right where the arm for the latch would grab the window frame. Some guys have had luck just shimming it up with a piece of tape since you can't see back there anyway. You can probably take the switch apart and bend the arm out a little so there isn't any movement.

spooey 07-14-2006 01:22 PM

Thanks for the info, Doc.

And Bob, although you're right about the costs. Generally you'll find parts and servicing on a Porsche is a little more expensive than "regular" cars, I was encouraged to see on this site, how much I can actually try and do myself. I was under the impression that with a Boxster, even the simpliest things like an oil change or changing the plugs, had to use special tools and had to be taken to the shop. Not the case... so hang in there with your Boxster! Let me know how it goes with fixing the problem.

PorscheDoc 07-14-2006 02:32 PM

Boxsters for the most part are very low maintenance porsches. Yes there are the occasional problems such as the RMS, the early boxster engine failures, and the early boxster convertible top failures (the catestrophic ones), but they are few and far between. Even the RMS seal isn't as big of a deal as the internet makes it sound. I see one every now and again, but not that often, and I shove boxsters in and out of the shop all day long. I think I have done one RMS on an 01S in the last 6 months or so.

For the most part you put in gas and oil and drive the cars, they really don't like to break. Obviously you have things like tires and brakes and such that are normal wear items, but even the brake pads and rotors are insanly easy to change out.

BOBTHEBUILDER 07-14-2006 11:14 PM

thanks guys- very encouraging especially when people go out of they're way to help expecting nothing in return. bob

boxstaboi 09-20-2007 10:09 AM

Interesting reading.. I've got a very similar problem with my windows / roof. It's on my 1999 Boxster 2.5, however when I go over a severe bump, my windows come down (as if roof latch has been released), but instead of going backup once the latch has been re-operated - I have to fully open the roof and close it again before the problem will resolve (extremely inconvenient on wet days!) I've investigated the latch microswitch and that seems fine.

Can anyone advise if/where there are anymore microswitches on the roof mechanism that may be causing the problem???

Thanks,

Simon.