Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums

Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/)
-   Porsche Boxster (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-boxster-11/)
-   -   Engine Light ON! (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-boxster-11/engine-light-2874/)

ZinFaren 02-15-2007 02:06 PM

Engine Light ON!

I recently purchased a used boxster 00' with 60k miles. The car is perfect condition. The last Owner took great care of the car. It must my curse that somehow after getting something I really want, It gets messed up.. I recently was going to get a gift for my girl for valentines day and had was parking in parking lot. I already knew that the car has low ride height and I kept saying to myself "dont park to close to the walkway where its a little higher than the lot. I crept slowly and all of sudden the hood went up slightly. I threw it in reverse and backed up as slow as possible. I barely felt the front go up. I got out and check it out andthe bumperok. I got the gift and did further inspection when I got home. There it hit me like a hammer in the head. i know you can barely see it when standing up but the bottom part looked like it got chewed up by a wolverine. Lesson learned but very sad about it. I hugged my car and shed a tear or two. Long story short I took my girlfriend home early morning and drove for about 25 miles. When I got to her place the engine light came on and heard a brief beeping sound. I know theres a gazillion sensors on the boxster. I was wondering if anyone can tell me if it can be fixed without taking it to dealer? I dont really want to take it to the dealer if its a minor problem and rather work on my own car. Also If I take it to the dealer is it gonna cost me a pretty penny providing its a porsche?

PS: When I drove it in the morning It was a bit cold but I babied the car. I drove normally like I would any other manual car. I consulted the manual as soon as I got home and checked if the filler cap was open but it wasnt. So I waited a few hours thinking it could be the temperature and started the car again to see if the light would go out but it didnt.

thanks

PorscheDoc 02-16-2007 12:22 PM

RE: Engine Light ON!

If the CEL is solid, and not blinking, then you need to get the codes read down to figure out what is wrong. If you can get me the codes, I can tell you what you need to do. Autozone can read the codes and give you the numbers.

More than likely it is a bad O2 sensor or a bad/dirty Maf sensor.

ZinFaren 02-16-2007 12:42 PM

I see, What would you recommend I do? Should I take it to the dealer which I know they might bullsh*t me a little? or autozone? and if I take it to the dealer could I just ask them for what the diagnostic reading is and can they give me the codes?

PS: I am also atechnician but for industrial euipment and some of the euipments I service have to be hookedup to the computer to erase the fault code that keeps appearing on the cockpit. But usually its not a big deal and its just the sensitive sensor acting up and giving a code

Thanks Doc

PorscheDoc 02-17-2007 12:22 AM

I'd just go to autozone and have the codes read for free.