Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums

Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/)
-   Porsche Boxster (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-boxster-11/)
-   -   How hard is it to change the balancer? (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-boxster-11/how-hard-change-balancer-3205/)

dannydoo 04-11-2007 11:13 PM

How hard is it to change the balancer?

I need a write up or a how to...Or...A quick advice,as to the difficulty and procedure to swap out a balancer?
Also...if a balancer was broken,what kind of damage could it have done if it caused oil to start seeping out from near its area?

Thank you so verry much for any replies.
Danielle

PorscheDoc 04-12-2007 12:23 PM

RE: How hard is it to change the balancer?

What balancer are you refering to?

dannydoo 04-12-2007 04:53 PM

the harmonic....I guess its the one connected to an intermediate shaft?

The guy just told me the balancer broke off and it startede leaking fluid.
Im going to buy it most likely and trying to figure out how bad the job is itsw 2001

PorscheDoc 04-12-2007 11:19 PM

Oh heck, that's easy....Find a new mechanic. There is no harmonic balancer on a boxster.

Where is the leak coming from on the engine?

dannydoo 04-13-2007 02:18 AM

OK
I did a lil reading and there is an eqiuvelent

ITs a pully thats on an intermewdiate shaft gear driven from the crank.
Thats my guess.
I read theres a weak single bearing and use to be a double so they give out.

Now....this job is hard? how much money do the tools cost to change it?
I suppopse th eoils coming from where the pully broke off,that would be th efront main seal no?

PorscheDoc 04-13-2007 11:19 AM

Well the intermediate shaft has a gear on it which has been known to fail. There is no pulley on the IMS, and the gear is internal in the engine. If the gear failed, then that is considered catastrophic engine failure and the engine is junk. There is no going in and repairing that by yourself.

Give me a little background on what is going on, and when it started.

Typical oil leak comes from the rear main seal and the oil fill tube (drips down the rear corner of the engine).

dannydoo 04-13-2007 04:27 PM

I really dont know.Im looking to buy a car from someones brother...
They were told the balancer broke.
by a shop and...the shop said they dont have the right tools to do the job.
They "the owner"heard a styrange noise snd drove the car for 2 -3 days like that.
Then it stoped running and oil came out the front.

I was suppose to look at the car yesterday but the owner vanished for the day.
Also... I was looking on ebay..And it looks like the front and back are storage compartments.WHERES THE MOTOR?How do i get to it?
IM a mech for 11yrs.
The car is for sale for 10k its a 2001 this is the hieght of his explanation.
but he did say balancer....

just asked my brother because its his car and i'm just selling it for him and he doesnt know. the car does not run. hes been riding it like that for about 2 or 3 days. he pulled over because the car kept making a weird noise and when he looked under the car oil started falling out.yes the machanics told me the piece is not that expensive but putting it in is because regular machanics dont have the tools or knowledge so they want me to bring it to a porsche dealer which will probably charge a lot. yes you do have to take the motor apart.

PorscheDoc 04-13-2007 07:35 PM

You are talking a very complex engine rebuild at this point, which requires thousands of dollars worth of special tools. We are one of about 6 shops in the US that can rebuild the 996TT engines because it also requires about $7k worth of special tools to do it, of which Porsche does not like to sell.

If I had to ballpark it, about $8-10k to get the car running again.

Porsche does not even rebuild the boxster engines, they put in a rebuilt or new engine, and send the old one back to germany for inspection.

dannydoo 04-14-2007 07:35 PM

Thanks for the replys.

So what exactly would be the part....your best guess? :)

HE says it balances the motor and it has a bearing.Said it was athe balancer at first.So I m guessing its in a harmonic balancer location?maybe
Would that be what I said? The intermediate shaft setup?you think?

My guess is the bearing got shot,he heard it wizzling for 2 days,kept driving it and the intermediate shaft flopped around untill it finally broke and took the front main seal with casuisng the oil that he says started falling out when the car stopped running.
And it prly satoped running cause the belt came off with it?

Like I said,I read they use 2 bearings and it s stronger,but w/these the 1 bearing fails.

How much is a motor from your shop?

PorscheDoc 04-14-2007 07:53 PM

You are best off sourcing a used engine from a wrecked boxster and putting it in.

If you want to try and drop the engine and replace whatever you think is broken, then by all means go ahead.