Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums

Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/)
-   Porsche Boxster (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-boxster-11/)
-   -   Just A Few Questions for the Pros (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-boxster-11/just-few-questions-pros-2853/)

ZinFaren 02-09-2007 11:33 PM

Just A Few Questions for the Pros

I have been looking around at some used Boxsters and came upon a 00' boxster with 68k miles. I just a few questions I would like to ask.

First thing I noticed was that when I opened the driver side door the window rattled heavily. The top was up and it seemed that when I closed the door the window would roll down a bit and then when the door was fully closed it would roll up to seal. But it would rattle heavily when I open the door. Is this unnatural and a problem. If it is is there a fix that wont cause me an arm or a body part?

Also I was looking at the top part of the engine and a few parts has been replaced ( I did not get a chance to not it down ) and the engine was a bit dirty. A friend of mine suggested steam washing the engine from top to clear it of debris. I am a little skeptical about this method and would like to ask your professional and personal opinions. I am nfamiliar with how sophisticated the Boxster engine is. Would it be okay to steam wash the engine or would it do more harm than good?

Also from my last post about "what to look for in a used boxster?" porsche_doc wrote that the oil that seeps through the seal is burned up a few minutes after startup thus producing a puff of smoke. I started the boxster and was talking to the salesman and after about more or less 15 to 20 minutes or so I noticed that there was still white smoke coming out of the exshaust. Is this a sign of headaches or I am just being paranoid. Thanks

ZinFaren 02-09-2007 11:36 PM

RE: Just A Few Questions for the Pros

Acutally I forgot to mention that the window seemed like it was getting caught on the seal and thats why it rattles heavily. Is it suppose to roll down when you open the door?

PorscheDoc 02-10-2007 12:07 PM

The window should not rattle when you open or close it. There is something loose or broken internally. The window should drop when you open the door, and go back up an inch when the door is closed. That part is normal.

Smoking after 15 minutes is an issue. I would have them replace the oil air seperator before you buy the car, and see if that goes away. If it does not, then walk away, you have a slipped liner in the engine.

I would not steam clean the engine. While I am sure you probably can, it will just get dusty in another couple thousand miles. Just the way they are designed. I would clean things with a rag and a damp cloth instead.

Hope this helps!

ZinFaren 02-10-2007 05:06 PM

Thanks. I had a felling something wasnt right about that window.
Whats your opinion on Porsches registered as a fleet vehicle that has low mileage (about 20k)?
The car looks pretty clean with no apparent visual damage on it but the price for the mileage seems fishy.

Thanks again for speedy replies