Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums

Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/)
-   Porsche Boxster (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-boxster-11/)
-   -   Need some Advice (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-boxster-11/need-some-advice-905/)

pcpilot128 07-13-2005 02:58 PM

Need some Advice

I have the opportunity to buy a 2000 Boxster with 5K on it for under 20K. After reading some other posts, it seems that there has been a recurring problem with the engine either seizing or blown on late 90's models? Does this hold true for the 2000/2001 models? Also, I would be driving this on a daily basis, 80 miles RT on Interstate, is this car a daily car? Finally, I am a bit worried that since it has real LOW mileage, it might not be in as mechanically good shape as I expect, I know the owner takes it out once a week for an hour. What should I expect? I HOPE this works out,

Thanks
Russ

MBS Auto Parts 07-15-2005 05:00 AM

RE: Need some Advice

I don't think the 2000 have the problems you mentioned! I am aware of the 1998 and 1999 both having MAJOR engine issues

pcpilot128 07-15-2005 12:13 PM

Thanks MBS, I did notice most of my research with the engine problems have been concentrating on the late 90's models. Do you drive your Porsche every day?
Thanks
Russ

MBS Auto Parts 07-15-2005 12:20 PM

You know I used to and it really took a toll on the car! (When I had the 98 Boxster)

Gears 07-27-2005 02:34 PM

Hi,
Had a 99 and 2000. Now I have a 2001 Boxster S. I didn't experience or hear of any such problems. YES it is an everyday car. In the summer I am driving my Boxster everyday without a problem. There are some people they say that Prosche's shouldn't sit around because they like to be driven regularily. I am not sure why. I WOULD by a low mileage car after a THOUROUGH inspection. Best bet is to stop at any local Porsche dealer and have them pull up the warranty and repair log. That is what I did. That will give you a pretty good idea of the car's repair history and show if it is a Lemon.

Also I would change ALL the fluids, filters and so on. Flush the engine and so fort.

MBS Auto Parts 07-27-2005 02:51 PM

Gears... I rather drive my E class, or 740 on an everyday basis... Why?? well LA traffic, Comfort level

Gears 07-28-2005 12:39 AM

MBA,
well, you are absolutely correct about what you are saying. My Boxster S is not my only car. I am also driving a '06 CLS500. And yes for any longer trips into the City (Chicago) from the suburbs or so I prefere my CLS500. But we are not comparing apples to apples here, are we?
In the summer I am driving my Boxster every day to the office, but that is only 3 miles. And than around for local erands. So that what I mean usable for everyday use. Trunk space enough for a few grocery bags, reliability very good for a real sports car. I am comparing here to Ferrari, Porsche Turbo and such high end pure breds which I do'nt consider as every day usable because of their high maintenance and lack of reliability. (I had a Ferrari 308 QV, and a 348. Boths are nice to look at but otherwise crap).

So in a nutshell, you are right, but again it depends. I do NOT recommend long distance trips in a Boxster. I prefer any sedan for such trips.

Well now everyone got my $ 0.02

Gears