Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums

Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/)
-   Porsche Boxster (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-boxster-11/)
-   -   Replacing a Boxster ignition switch (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-boxster-11/replacing-boxster-ignition-switch-4496/)

rsv1pors 10-20-2007 06:16 PM

Replacing a Boxster ignition switch

Has anyone done this before? Looks impossible to access the switch under the dash. Thanks

rsv1pors 10-22-2007 07:13 AM

RE: Replacing a Boxster ignition switch

Found great DIY instructions here:

http://industryfigure.com/berkeley/P...tionswitch.htm

PorscheDoc 10-22-2007 09:39 AM

You don't need to remove the seat to get to the switch unless you are a really big guy. I use just a very tiny thin screwdriver bit with my fingers (the kind you use in screwdrivers that you can change the bits in), to get the switch out. Pretty basic to get in and out, but is a bit of a tight fit.

rsv1pors 10-22-2007 06:29 PM

Thanks Doc, but this isn't simple. I'm only 5' 6" and pretty agile and getting under the dash hands up to get at those screws is difficult. Can't even see them without a mirror. Tried to remove the seat with a #10 metric 6 point, got three out, last one stripped :(. Will hit it again when I'm in a better state of mind. :)

PorscheDoc 10-22-2007 08:59 PM

Lol, are you sure you are looking in the right place? If you get your light under there, you can clearly see where you need to put the screwdriver. It takes a VERY thin (I mean width wise) screwdriver bit to get in there. No offense, but it is about a 5 minute job, and I am bigger than you :)

The seat bolts are an E torx bit, I can't remember what size off hand, but yes, if you try with a regular socket, they strip quite easily.

rsv1pors 10-23-2007 03:33 PM

I hope I'm in the right place. I pulled the connector off and it looks like my replacement switch, but then it could be a connector that disables a super-duper something that will cost me my 401 to fix ;)

Speaking of cost, I called the local Porsche dealer and he quoted $391.10 for the tumbler end of the switch. I think I am going to have to go that route as the key will not go in the slot at all. Looking in there - there is a little brass piece tha is blocking the key. I can move it out of the way but it keeps coming back. I think the tumblers are messed up. Thanks for your encouragement.

rsv1pors 10-26-2007 07:28 AM

Well it looks like I have to replace the whole unit which may be simpler than just replaceing the electrical portion of the switch. Looks like the aluminum arm that holds the assembly just unbolts. Anyone done this before?

I have found the complete assembly with two keys on the net for $229.00, beats the dealers $391.00.

rsv1pors 11-02-2007 07:29 AM

Well, the final update. After constructing a small screwdriver out of one of those bit's that go in replacement type screwdrivers I was able loosen the bottom screw and by feel only managed to loosen the top screw and slide the electrical portion of the switch out.

The Porsche dealer no longer stocks the "old" type switch so I bought a replacement on line, and was relieved to discover that the new replacement matched the old switch exactly.

I installed the new switch and tighten the screws, replaced the heater duct and was pleased that now my key went into the ignition slick as anything. The Boxster started right up and I headed to the Honda dealer and traded it in. Total elasped time from repair to trade was about 2 hours. Bye, bye Boxster experiment. Not that I didn't love the car, but it had lots of little nagging problems, and with 87 K miles it was just a matter of time before something really major let go. Good luck to all.........