Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums

Porsche Forum - Porsche Enthusiast Forums (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/)
-   Porsche Cayenne (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-cayenne-10/)
-   -   2005 Base Cayenne Gas Mileage (https://www.germanautoforums.com/forum/porsche-cayenne-10/2005-base-cayenne-gas-mileage-6086/)

Mikkol109 05-23-2008 04:40 PM

2005 Base Cayenne Gas Mileage

Hi I am new to the forum... Recently i just took my familys cayenne and started driving as my daily driver. The car itself has only 6000 miles on it.. I have several questions....
1. When i turn on the car it says service now.. Should i take it in for service? It already had an oil change at 5000 miles but its just been so long since we've driven this car that the notice started to flash again... I heard from other cayenne owners that we don't need to change the oil til at least 10 or 15k.. is this true?

2. The gas mileage.. i just fillled up the Tank and on the computer screen it said 510Miles to go till next fill up. I only traveled 50 miles and this estimate dropped to 325... Is this normal? I rarely push it or rev it over 3rpm..

3. Would i be saving gas if i used the tiptronic and manually shifted the gear before it hits 3rpm..?

Thanks so much for your input..

Big Bob 05-24-2008 02:57 AM

RE: 2005 Base Cayenne Gas Mileage

Clearly there is more to the Service Requirements than an oil change. There are sensors looking at many things. Perhaps the Air filter is starting to be clogged with say driving in a dusty environment etc. The Service indicator is also activated by time as well as mileage. It appears that this is a 2005 car that you have done 6000 miles in since 2005?. If so and you have not had the car fully serviced and the Service Indicator Reset, then this is the most likely cause.
On Gas Mileage the Range record comes from the effect of the most recent driving events. So driving in heavy traffic, lots of stop starts will give a "current fuel usage" average which then upgrades the Range on the assumption that the vehicle will be driven like this until the tank runs dry. Depending on model with the way you drive I would have thought 18-19 per gallon would have been an indicator for average urban useage. Should go up to 20+ on long runs etc.
The tiptronic generally is a better judge of the dynamics of driving in terms of efficiency than you will judge by flicking the lever. Do you find the car goes into kickdown mode very easily?
Regards Big Bob

Mikkol109 05-24-2008 09:22 PM

The tiptronic generally is a better judge of the dynamics of driving in terms of efficiency than you will judge by flicking the lever. Do you find the car goes into kickdown mode very easily?

Thanks for the response. I don't quite get what you mean by kickdown mode? I use the tiptronic and usually keep the rpm below 3 especially when i am driving in the city. I do downshift when i am going uphill to let the power kick in..

Big Bob 05-25-2008 03:44 AM

When you go to accelerate, do you sense that the tiptronic is automatically (no pun intended:D) changing down perhaps more often than you would expect given your conservative use of revs etc?
Regards Big Bob

Mikkol109 05-25-2008 06:26 PM

nope, the gear holds... but if i sense i am losing power i down shift to let the power kick in. I know if im in a high gear and i step on the gas hard it will downshift automatically...
if thats what you mean..

Big Bob 05-26-2008 03:53 AM

Hi that is exactly what I was trying to find out. So there is no issue with the tiptronic auto, response. So another theory bites the dust[sm=bustedsign.gif].
What grade fuelare you able to use? I run all my cars exceprt the ML of course on 97+RON.
I've found that the improvement in gas mileage outweighs thew premium on the fuel, even at the UKs astronomical prices of $10-$11 per gallon.
That might be worth a try to see if it makes a difference.
After a full service, you might also want to look at a Chip ECU upgrade to the car. I've found thatthe ECU Chips on all of my 4 cars not only improve performance, but also improve Gas/Diesel mileage.
Anyway some more thoughts.[sm=Flahssssss.gif]
Regars Big Bob

Mikkol109 06-01-2008 04:42 PM

thanks! I use.. 91 unleaded its what premium is in the states.. I just filled up a full tank costing 92 dollars for 20 gallons.. I get 15 mpg with half city/hwy is this average?

Big Bob 06-02-2008 04:21 AM

Bearing in mind the difference betwen the Uk and the US gallon, I suspect its not far off. But I would have expected it to be a little higher. Have you had the service now etc?
Regards Big Bob

Cyclenirvana 06-03-2008 03:26 PM

I have a Porsche Cayenne Turbo, and I get about 12-13 mpg city and 18-19 mpg highway. Believe it or not, the base Cayenne and S version are not much different due to this weight of the vehicle. The 6-cylinder engine needs to work a little harder than the 8 to move this mass around.

Mikkol109 06-04-2008 11:16 PM

I had an oil change at 5k. But that was last year currently i have 7k miles on the car and it says service but i'm not sure what needs to be serviced after just 2k miles should i still bring it in?